MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Armed Forces veteran ties

Article about: by A.J. Zawadzki I wish I knew! It’s something I often wondered about when looking at some of the Third Reich insignia. Regards, Tony I think I found the answer It goes back to when mounted

Default Polish Armed Forces veteran ties

Hi guys,
    Lately, I've been thinking about our veterans and their attire worn on various ceremonies, especially about veteran ties. I find this subject undescribed though interesting, so I've decided to post some pics of such ties from my collection and encourage you to do the same to let us all know more on this PSZ-related thread.
    The first tie is a MACASETA LTD.-made twinzine tie. The embroidered SBSK badge and the Africa Star ribbons denote this tie was given to a SBSK veteran. The tie measures 133,5 cm (approx. 52,5 in.) long.
    A Combined Operation tie was sent from England to a commando veteran living in Poland. The embroidered labels tell some details about the tie: A LONDON MADE TIE FROM POLYESTER; WASHABLE; DO NOT IRON. It was made by PIS or PTS company and measures 138,5 cm (approx. 54,5 in.) long.
    I’ve found information in an April 1989 issue of WIADOMOŚCI WYPAD. PISMO KOŁA 2 BAONU GRENADIERÓW KRATKOWANE LWIĄTKA I KOMANDOSÓW (No 97) that some of the Association members paid Ł 5,50 fees (including a coast of a tie <and probably a shipment coast too>) while the average fee was Ł 5,00 (e.g. compare with a MAY 1988 issue of W-W<No 95>). This makes me believe that commando ties (probably of the same pattern) were available at least in nineteen eighties for about Ł 0,50. Those of you who can rate if my assumption is right or wrong, please feel free to comment.
    Regards,
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Armed Forces veteran ties   Polish Armed Forces veteran ties  

Default Re: Polish Armed Forces veteran ties

Hi again.
    First of all I've just noticed my mistake - of course I meant a shipment cost...
    Here are some contemporary pics of veterans wearing various ties, including an interesting Italy Star tie and ties of a mentioned above SBSK pattern: NZH Czerwony Mak - 66. Monte Cassino
    Centrum Szkolenia Wojsk L

Regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom,

Excellent topic! A most interesting area of collecting.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony,
    I'm glad you enjoy the thread.
    Regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom,

Let’s hope to see some more example posted. I have encountered these veteran’s ties over the years and have some images stored that I’ll try to dig out.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Here’s a tie that belonged to a veteran of the 6th “Children of Lwow” Armoured Regiment of the Polish 2nd Corps (6 Pułk Pancerny "Dzieci Lwowskich"). The tie displays the orange black with light blue stripe unit colours along with the gold lion on a navy blue background.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Armed Forces veteran ties   Polish Armed Forces veteran ties  

Hopefully Thomas will allow this blatant high jacking of his thread to allow for the diversification of the discussion here! This is an interesting topic and perhaps we should include items in a similar vein, such as veteran’s blazer patches. Just as with the ties there are many interesting variations.

Here’s a blazer patch for the 15th Wilenski “Wolf” Rifle Battalion (15 Baon Strzelców Wileńskich "Wilków"). A very nicely crafted piece, which is typical of blazer patches. I particularly like the rendition of the Polish eagle. I photographed it next to the unit’s beret badge to show how it’s reflected in the patch design.

Hopefully some members will have other examples to share.

Regards,
    Tony

Hi Tony,

What is the significance of the corner taken out of the top left of the shield in the patch design? A hungry wolf???

Anybody have a 4th Armoured regiment veterans tie?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    What is the significance of the corner taken out of the top left of the shield in the patch design? A hungry wolf???. . .
    I wish I knew! It’s something I often wondered about when looking at some of the Third Reich insignia.

Regards,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Armed Forces veteran ties  Polish Armed Forces veteran ties  Polish Armed Forces veteran ties  Polish Armed Forces veteran ties 
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I wish I knew! It’s something I often wondered about when looking at some of the Third Reich insignia.
    Regards,
    Tony
    I think I found the answer
    It goes back to when mounted knights used lance and shield —a corner of the shield was cut away to allow the lance to be used with shield held up close to the body thus protecting the more of the knight with the greatest surface area.
    The patches and insignia graphically depict this in their design.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast