Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Polish commemorative medal

Article about: Hi, could anyone give me some information as to this Polish commemorative Medal?Secondly,I purchased this POWN medal and Ibelieve it has something to do with Polish servicemen in France...un

Default Polish commemorative medal

Hi, could anyone give me some information as to this Polish commemorative Medal?Secondly,I purchased this POWN medal and Ibelieve it has something to do with Polish servicemen in France...unsure?
    Attachment 316560Attachment 316558Attachment 316559

Default Re: Polish commemorative medal

Hi Starszy,

The commemorative medal appears to be a 50th anniversary commemorative issue by the Dutch city of Breda to Polish 1st Armoured Division veterans. It has the words “We Thank You Poles”.

Breda was skillfully liberated by General Maczek’s division by deliberately engaging the Germans in battle on the outskirts of the city, thereby sparing the city from destruction. The citizens of Breda have steadfastly remembered and acknowledged the Polish liberators right up to the present day.

The POWN decoration was issued post war bythe Polish Military and Independence Organization, a UK based group (Polska Organizacja Wojskowa i Niepodległościowa), also known as “Pogoń”.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne