Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Eagle Badge Verification

Article about: I've got a couple Polish Eagle cap badges. Hoping you can tell me if they are authentic & from what period? I'm sure the one with the Kotwica is a re-strike & the one without it, is

?

Default Polish Eagle Badge Verification

I've got a couple Polish Eagle cap badges. Hoping you can tell me if they are authentic & from what period? I'm sure the one with the Kotwica is a re-strike & the one without it, is authentic. Can I have your thoughts? Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Eagle Badge Verification   Polish Eagle Badge Verification  

Hi Bull,

Both eagles are post war made. The one with AK kotwica is a Panasiuk product. The other is a copy that mimics the pre-war wz.19/33 “gołąbek” (pigeon) pattern.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thanks Tony. I'm surprised the pre-war eagle is not authentic but when I compare it to the pictured badge here :
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...p-eagles-1.jpg
    which another member has posted, I can definitely see the difference! I want to find one that is legit. Are you able to point me in the right direction?

Hi Bull, this fake continues to trip up many collectors, so don’t be too disappointed in yourself. The photo you linked showing Gary’s eagles contains one pre-WW2 wz.19 pattern hat eagle in the center surrounded by Polish Armed Forces in the West WW2 era versions. You are best off continuing to research and learn about the many variations of hat eagles produced before jumping into buying mode. The information contained on this forum is an excellent starting point. In addition I recommend obtaining the Zawistowski series of books. Although written in Polish they are beneficial even if you’re not fluent in the language.

Polish hat eagles remain in relatively plentiful supply on the market, but be forewarned that the copies being produced are improving, especially some of the die stamped ones. So when you do see a badge that interests you be sure to post here for some other opinions before laying out any cash.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Dzienkuje Tony. You are a true gentleman. Ja tilko mowie male po Polski. Not enough to properly read it unfortunately, but I'm sure the book would still be handy. I've looked up Tomasz Zawistowski online. My interest lies in WW2 era cap badge so I guess "Polskie orły do czapek 1939-1945" would be the one to go for?
    And you're totally right, this site has a treasure trove of valuable info. I've learnt so much already. My thanks to everyone on it!!

Hi again, and you're most welcome. Yes, the "Polskie orły do czapek 1939-1945" volume is the one for you if your main focus is the exiled armed forces. Plenty of photos of all of the main variants, metal and bullion thread along with some painted helmet types. Glad that you're spending some time on the hat eagle badge thread here. It's by far the best internet resource on this topic.

Regards, and happy collecting,
    Tony

?

Hi Tony. I've been looking at cap eagles that are for sale and reading all about the variants on the forum. Interesting stuff! I have come across a beautiful cap eagle on EBay (missing lugs unfortunately) and was hoping you could have a quick look at it. Can you let me know if you think it's authentic? Much appreciated.
    Polish Poland Wwii Rogatywka HAT Eagle Badge | eBay
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Eagle Badge Verification  Polish Eagle Badge Verification 
    Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 10-13-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Hi Bull, The eagle badge appears genuine. It is a William Scully product, one of two Canadian-based wartime makers of Polish cap badges. These eagles are commonly found on caps and berets used in the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade and also the Polish Recruitment Mission in North America. It's one of my favorite variants due to the heft of the badge along with the typical quality of the strike. The only weak point was the fragile twin blade fasting which tend to break off, as with this example.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Tony you are a walking Encyclopedia of Polish Military items!! Thanks for all the details!!

I have added the pics to your post. E Bay links die over time and the pics would have been lost. It is always best to add the pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!