Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Polish Exile helmet Eagles

Article about: Tony, Thanks for posting that photo, ... I have seen it before when I believe Rafal N. owned one similar. This again is yet another confirmed variant connected to the Parachute Brigade. This

Default Re: Polish Exile helmet Eagles

I'm not clear on the oval..... is it an area that was left unpainted, with green painted around it? Or was the tan oval applied over the green paint? Either way, although I don't normally opine on the authenticity of helmets that I have not personally examined, I remember seeing that helmet on eBay and not having a great feeling about it. I think it had most to do with the backwards eagle, but other factors included the large tan oval as well as the design of the stencil. But as I have said here many times, that there are exceptions, is often the rule.

Here are a few photos that have some relevance to the discussion. The first is a French 1927 Adrian that is painted green, but which was originally painted a khaki color. The triangle appears to have been masked off when the helmet was painted green, leaving the triangle which was then outlined in white. It's hard to see in this photo, but the helmet also has a light blue band around the base. I am unsure as to the significance of this triangle/band/eagle arrangement (a specific purpose or a specific unit ?? Airfield guard has been suggested).

The second helmet is a 2 Corps MkII with camouflage applied around a white hand-painted eagle, which was on the helmet prior to the camouflage application. So, seeing the application of paint around an existing eagle is not unheard of.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

Interesting SBSK/3DSK Helmet. Italian front green over textured sand camouflage (which shows throguh in spots). Through the green overpaint, if you look closely, you can see the red oval and the Polish eagle of the Carpathian Brigade, North African campaign. Helmet is named (last name only). Netting / scrim is combination of British and US material, I believe.

Polish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet Eagles
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

Super helmet Ivan. Thanks for sharing
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Staying on the SBSK topic, here's an example in my collection that has not been overpainted for re-use in Italy. Most of these pictures show the helmet as being more tan in color than it is to the naked eye (as result of my lighting and flash); the actual color is closer to the last one here, that appears somewhat lighter and sun-bleached. The shell is a BMB 1940.

Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

Another wonderful helmet Ivan. Thanks for sharing.

This paratrooper helmet just sold in the past 24 hours for a princely sum. The pics are weak, but putting them out for comment anyway.

Regards,
    Tony

Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Looks like the wrong type of Eagle (1st Corp) .. and too large to me ..

Gary J.

?

Seller said that helmet was from veteran - Stasiak. He has his piicture, two bagdes, collar pennants and something else. To be honest, to me eagle look´s suspicious too. I saw some other pic´s. It is too nice and I think too big too. I wouldn´t buy it.
    It is just my opinion because I didn´t have it in my hands.

Those of you who know me and who have read my posts know that I approach the subject of helmet eagles with an open mind. I have seen infinite variety in design, different methods of application, etc. etc. Having said that, there are certain types of helmets that exhibit less variation in style of eagle than do other types, and Polish paratrooper helmets are classic examples of that. As discussed elsewhere in the forum, there are several different styles of eagles that you can find on Polish paratrooper helmets, and they are limited. Seeing one of those styles of eagle does not automatically validate the helmet, but seeing a different style of eagle should make you look much closer.

As Gary says, the eagle on this helmet is not one of the recognized styles of that you normally find on Polish paratrooper helmets. It does indeed look like a 1st Corps eagle, and a large one at that. I have never seen this type of eagle on a Polish paratrooper helmet that I knew was authentic, although I have seen it on any number of authentic British paratrooper helmets that were repainted to look Polish and on at least one that was a 100% repro (shell and all). So you can draw your own conclusions from that.

In addition, I have to say that I think I have seen this helmet somewhere before. probably on eBay. If you look closely, you can see that the inside of the helmet has a painted red patch with a white stripe on the inside rim and has a name on the leather of the liner at the back of the helmet. I don't remember if there was an eagle on the front.

Here are some photos of the generally accepted types of Polish paratrooper helmet eagles.

These are the early type (found on early helmets and training headgear):

Polish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet Eagles

Here is another commonly seen pattern.

Polish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet EaglesPolish Exile helmet Eagles

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast