Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection

Article about: by A.J. Zawadzki Hi Stefan, yes, very perceptive of you. Definitely the efforts of a left leaning group. You'll quickly spot the less-than-subtle hammer and scythe imagery on the cover: Atta

Default re: Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection

and what would you charge, to do the inspection?

Quote by hillblade View Post
    The badge photos others have posted, do show several different types of cloth used. the badges I have are made on thinner cloth than the courser, almost "feed sack" type cloth shown in many of the photos.
    The cloth in the posted photos is all the same cheap cotton sheeting the coarseness in some is merely a function of the macro-photo detail. Both OST and P patches would have been similar cheap cotton sheeting regardless of location so that is not really an issue. A simple question. Do the OST and P patches look too "new-white"—no natural discolouration say compared to any "white" paperwork from the same period in the shoebox ie. the serviceman's identity papers from WWII? Of there should be visible aging to both cloth and paper.

Quote by hillblade View Post
    I'm getting suspious of these.... and of course they're cut individually.
    The fact that there are so many identically cut patches in one collection plus the other uncut insignia stripes you found in the shoebox feels to me like they were all part of some recent manufacturing enterprise. Of course I could be totally wrong, that is the nature of collecting—there are always surprises Its all about the context of the find. How did you acquire the shoebox — family heirloom, dealer, estate sale...?

These OST and P patches are so easy to copy. The exact dimension of the patches etc can be found online. See attached.

Look forward to seeing some macro-photos

To answer earlier question re penalties for not wearing the "P" patch; the Decree governing Polish forced labour signed on March 8, 1940, by SS chief Heinrich Himmler read that: "...The workers of Polish nationality, who are or will be included in the civilian workforce in Germany, have an obligation to wear on the breast of every garment worn the identification mark, it is to be worn on the right side of clothing... those who do not obey the rules will be subject to a fine of up to 150 RM [Reichsmarks] and arrested serving a penalty of six weeks detention..."
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection 
    Last edited by StefanM; 12-11-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Attached is a perfect (or imperfect!) example of a fake "OST" patch and document set for sale on the "ioffer" website. Same seller often found on ebay with a whole shop-full of "genuine" Jewish ghetto armbands, yellow stars, concentration camp finds etc.

The patch is for Eastern Worker ie. Ukrainian and the document tear-off belongs to a Pole not a Ukrainian so despite what the seller says in his sales pitch the one does not belong to the other in any legitimate sense.

For comparison to the yellow OST patch here is an example in the Imperial War Museum, London

... and one from the Bundesarchiv in Berlin (complete badge design) both are as they should be.

Last edited by StefanM; 12-12-2011 at 01:13 PM.

An Ordinance of the Ministry of Interior police of 19 June 1944 praised the work of the "Eastern workers" and issued a new identity system for them: Ukrainians would have an oval sun flower wreath in blue with a trident in blue and yellow, White Russians (Byelorussians) with spike and gear in white-red and Russians a sunflower wreath on a red background design with the blue Andrew's Cross. Allowing the wearing of the national colours was seen as making the previously discriminated against "Eastern workers" valued allies of Nazi Germany in the fight against Bolshevism it was also viewed by the Germans as a kind of social advancement for the East Worker "The 'sub-human' was appointed citizen". This new regulation of course did not apply to Polish workers.

I have had these two examples (Russian and Ukrainian) for a while but suspect they may not be genuine.

Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection

This change of regulation IMO makes it even less likely for a US serviceman to have found a stack of previous design "OST" patches almost a year after the new ones were introduced. But I guess strange things do happen.
    Last edited by StefanM; 12-12-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Hello
    what might your take be on this one?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

regards
    Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection  

The "padded" P patch on eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace is typical of several examples I have. One example of which is attached
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection 
    Last edited by StefanM; 12-11-2011 at 08:33 PM.

The German Online Archive — Forced Labour 1939-1945: Memory and History (Zwangsarbeit 1939-1945) has over 30 interviews with former forced labourers presented in English.

Link: Forced Labour 1939-1945

In a moment of madness I just purchased this "very salty" coat that belonged to a German POW and forced labourer in USSR. Looking forward receiving it shortly although unsure how welcome it will be with other members of the household

I rather like that.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Stanislaw View Post
    Hello
    what might your take be on this one?
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    regards
    Stan
    Sold... a good price IMO.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection  

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast