Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection

Article about: by A.J. Zawadzki Hi Stefan, yes, very perceptive of you. Definitely the efforts of a left leaning group. You'll quickly spot the less-than-subtle hammer and scythe imagery on the cover: Atta

Default re: Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection

This might be interesting:

This booklet is very "interesting" too:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Forced Labour (Zwangsarbeiter/Fremdarbeiter) collection  

Quote by kindzjal View Post
    This might be interesting:

Is this infographic in your collection?

I wonder if those indicated as being from "Great Britain" were British PoWs or maybe from German occupied Channel Islands?

Thanks for sharing
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Only the "P" badge is sewn on the opposite side of the overall
    Penalties for not wearing the "P" patch; the Decree governing Polish forced labour signed on March 8, 1940, by SS chief Heinrich Himmler read that: "...The workers of Polish nationality, who are or will be included in the civilian workforce in Germany, have an obligation to wear on the breast of every garment worn the identification mark, it is to be worn on the right side of clothing.. those who do not obey the rules will be subject to a fine of up to 150 RM [Reichsmarks] and arrested serving a penalty of six weeks detention..."

So the question is why would a forced worker sew the badge on the left side and risk the penalty of such a large fine and detention most likely in a an AEL camp—which was almost as severe as a concentration camp proper ? Or maybe the decree was not enforced by OT etc?
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-31-2012 at 01:12 PM.

A better shot of the red plastic Gustloff-Werke identity badge for Russian forced labourer and company letterhead dated 20.02.1941 There is a faint trace of a number under the corrosion on the top bar of the letter "G".

Last edited by StefanM; 08-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    So the question is why would a forced worker sew the badge on the left side and risk the penalty of such a large fine and detention most likely in a an AEL camp—which was almost as severe as a concentration camp proper ? Or maybe the decree was not enforced by OT etc?
    Everything is possible but maybe it's just a fakers mistake???

The infographic is not mine, I found it here:

Ausstellung Zwangsarbeit - Presseinformation

I was wondering if anybody does have those Adrema plates in his collection:

A long time ago someone offered me to buy 300 pieces of those for 50,- Euro but I didn't buy them
    so he sold it to somebody else... Today I hate myself for that mistake

Thanks for sharing this better picture of the Gustloff-Werke identity badge.

Bestreg.

kindzjal

A long time ago someone offered me to buy 300 pieces of those for 50,- Euro but I didn't buy them
    so he sold it to somebody else... Today I hate myself for that mistake
    IMHO that would have been an important find and should have been donated to a relevant museum (as the find below was) rather than it be sold and for the index plates to remain in a private collection or resold piecemeal

Thanks for posting the Adrema index plate reference.

I found some further information online about the Adrema indexing system:

Period advertisement for the “ADREMA” card index system

The main idea behind the “ADREMA” system is the centralization of all repetitive paperwork into a central register. However, the system doesn’t use paper index cards, but instead metal ones, on which an address and details can be impressed and used to print lists.

The “ADREMA” cards are stored in little drawers, organized according to use, either alphabetically, regionally, numerically, or according to groups. The drawers hold 200-250 cards and are held in lockable archive cabinets.

The process is completely mechanical and can be reliably and quickly operated by an unskilled worker. The resulting prints look as if they were typed, because the “ADREMA” also uses the same metal letters and ribbon as a typewriter. The imprinting of the cards is done with an embossing machine. The templates could be made by the firm itself, or ordered in larger quantities directly from the “ADREMA” company. For this purpose, “ADREMA” had embossing offices in Berlin and around the world that were equipped for various possible purposes. In the Berlin office alone, 50,000 cards could be imprinted per day.

On the upper edge of the metal cards, up to 12 different colour stickers could be added, in order to determine in advance what information should be printed. The entire contents of a drawer could then be loaded into the machine, wherein the empty drawer could collect the cards as they came out under the table. Once in operation, the cards run automatically over the ink ribbon, where they stop momentarily for the printer arm to press them down onto the form. Afterwards the drawer could be returned in the original order to its cabinet.

The “ADREMA” index cards of 3108 forced labourers at the C. Lorenz AG company found in a bunker on Kollwitzstrasse in Tempelhof in 2000... now in a Berlin museum.

Last edited by StefanM; 08-02-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Yes indeed a great find and many of those plates belonged to Polish forced workers.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    The one Kindzjal’s picture is not an image photographed straight on, and also slightly out of focus.
    Here a few better pics:

Here a few better pics:

Some positive details visible in the larger image files and longer section of printed cloth means that I have changed my original view from one of outright skepticism to a more favourable opinion on these patches! But would still like to learn more of how this find was discovered though?

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast