Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 107 of 226 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 157 207 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Fellows,

I think – this particular picture(s) are very much worth posting. Hope You like it!

One of the pictures features a Polish parachutist visiting Oswego during United Nations week – in June 1943.
    The picture - places „in space, time and the social context” the Spink Eagle - the rarest (in my opinion) version that is made from hard magnetic steel and minted from the “symmetrical” stamp. We have discussed various Sink versions before (symmetrical and asymmetrical ones)

In addition – there are some pictures featuring officers of the Polish Merchant Navy attending the event too - with a very characteristic Eagle.

It must had been some sort of international event – as representatives of various allied forces had been invited. Event is well documented. Source of pics – LOC US.

I would think that, it is possible in Sikorski’s or 1SBS / Navy archives to find out who that officers were and what happened to them in subsequent years. Such search would be an interesting project on its own!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,
    Very much worth posting – I think.
    Set of high quality pictures of the rare variant of Guant Eagle (we have discussed it before) – but this particular one – is just mint!
    Eagle was found in Poland.

This variant is unusual as it features - “the last row of feathers touching the legs” (see the red frame). Eagle is also heavier than other variants and made of brass – I believe.

Very similar Eagle can be seen at the Sikorski’s in London in the display 24th landers of the 1st Armoured Division.

Picture also attached (Yellow Regimental Banner)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

This photo is one of my late father's female friends from 2PolCorps Italy. Unfortunately cannot quite make out the eagle or the ladies collar pennants.

Polish Hat Eagles
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Fellows,

One more small step in ongoing and very surprising research re Polish Military Eagles - and - i think a very relevant one - as it places this very particular design in time and social context.

Please see the Eagle at the top of the Blue Army - Recruitment Card from 1918. It is the same design as one featured on the commemorative pin from 1925.

Looks like this particular design stood well the test of time and clearly must have had a sentimental meaning for the ex-service volunteers.

It would be good to find out if the "Utica" Eagle was also featured on cards given in other posts and / or whether it was used more widely as the symbol of Polish National Alliance(s) in USA at that time?. if it was not the case - an interesting hypothesis can be put forward that this particular design comes from Utica.

Polish Hat Eagles  

?

Default What about this Polish eagle?

I need your advice because I do not have the proper reference books: I found this adrian style helmet with Polish eagle, which was corroded. I cleaned it and stabilized it. What can you tell me about the eagle? It is cast and seems to be of bronze. It is attached to the helmet with a screw post and spinner, and there is no maker's mark on the spinner although the spinner has a faint cross pattern on it for traction. The post has been shortened to accommodate the wear of the helmet. What is your assessment of age and type?Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Firstly, many thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.
    Going straight to the point - with current knowledge of the subject - it is simply impossible to authenticate - and what i mean by that - specifically link the unit of the Polish Army in France (or before ww2) to this specific Eagle.
    Assuming that we consider as the hypothesis nr 1 - the Polish Army in France 39-40, the truth of the matter is as follows
    1. It appears to be casted / workshop made eagle - based on so called 19the pattern as per pre-war regulations.
    2. Given the difficulties with supply of quality eagles in at the beginning of the formation of Polish Army in France - it is not excluded that casted / workshop made eagles had been used. However, from my knowledge - based on sizable nr of pictures from various sources - such casted Eagles had not been popular. In fact - the Adrian with painted white Eagle - was a norm for lower ranks - in both infantry divisions (more so in 1st Grenadiers than 2 DSP)
    3. In recent years - sadly, there has been a volume of cases where the Adrian helmets are offered / "mysteriously found" with Polish Eagle - type 19th fixed - i call the "combos"
    4. Unless you know the provenience of this helmet - and even with that - there is sizable risk that it is such "combo"
    5. what would be interesting is to see quality pictures of the Eagle (avers / revers)

Quote by Loggie View Post
    I need your advice because I do not have the proper reference books: I found this adrian style helmet with Polish eagle, which was corroded. I cleaned it and stabilized it. What can you tell me about the eagle? It is cast and seems to be of bronze. It is attached to the helmet with a screw post and spinner, and there is no maker's mark on the spinner although the spinner has a faint cross pattern on it for traction. The post has been shortened to accommodate the wear of the helmet. What is your assessment of age and type?Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Fellows
    It has been very quiet on our forum lately!!!
    Any new finds - info / eagles etc?
    I have been lucky - to see some of the amazing Eagles in the collection of the Sikorski's Institute in London.

This particular one - is one of the most interesting - specimens. Perhaps - Warsaw Uprising / AK?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Bari Eagle - from Sikorski's Collection
    Excellent
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows

The Sikorski's collection includes the Casted Eagle that was featured in the post 812 - page 82 - it was a mystery and took us a considerable time to find a second specimen!

Now the identification has been officially completed!

Next time at Sikorski - i need to review the catalogue card for that Eagle one more time - catalogue in many cases features the priceless descriptions - place / circumstances of purchase etc.

I believe this one is classified as - made / purchased in Alexandria - Egypt.

I would say - this is a great find and hope you like it!

Polish Hat Eagles

a close one