Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 117 of 226 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 127 167 217 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Fellows,
    Today, something different than posting Eagles - hope You like it.

This is an article published in what used to be a very high quality magazine dedicated to the history of Polish Armed Forces - published in London for many decades - Przeglond Kawaleri i Broni Pancernej. Overall, it is just an incredible" mine of knowledge", both with respect to professionally written analysis and "eye witness accounts".

This article, published in 1970, in an eye witness account material and commemorates Caporal Tadeusz Andrzejewski who served a the very beginning of existence of 6 Lancers Regiment in 1918/19. Article is a very good example of eye witness account.

In addition it is very relevant as it dates and identifies the manufacturer of - most likely - the 1st Eagle of the 6th Lancers. Existence of this Eagle, has not been yet known to wider community of collectors and as far as i know there is not even a picture of it.

Perhaps one day - picture(s) and the eagle(s) will be found!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,

This is a an example of a very interesting badge / Eagle manufactured in Germany by Lauer of Nurnberg, post 45. The same manufacturer produced the "small" 1AD Eagle. Although it is not a Military Eagle as such - from my research it appears that it was worn by POWs and Officers of PSZ.
    The sentence - says it all, in parallel translation - "no more imprisonment / slavery"
    It is, to my knowledge, a very rare badge / Eagle.

Perhaps any of You has similar POW badges to add to library?

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles
    Last edited by wadowicznic; 04-18-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Fellows,

I have been trying to identify this unusual Eagle - and perhaps something comes to your mind!.

Eagle without the crown. Dimension 8x7cm. Remains if fixing suggests that was some sort of badge with an intention to be attached to an uniform / hat or display.

Various hypothesis can be developed a) tourist souvenir from Poland - post war period b) patriotic badge c) some sort of association d) military - early ww1.

Eagle comes from France.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,

One more small step - "discovery" on the long road to supplement the existing knowledge regarding the Polish WW2 Eagles and Badges.

I think, the story of the American Committee for the Polish Ambulance Fund is well worth presenting as it is not widely known and it shows the very relevant effort and contribution of the civilian Polish community in the USA to support the Polish Free Forces at the very beginning of WW2 where the outcome was by no means certain.

I have come across the small pin that fuelled my curiosity to research the subject .

Pin must have been used during the fundraising events in 1939 -40. I would say it officially should be added to the list of Polish military badges of ww2. And in years of collecting – I see it 1st time.

To add to the picture, the Loyola University has in its archives, the certificate showing that the American Committee for the Polish Ambulance Fund received $2,000 from the Legion of Young Polish Women for the purchase of ambulances, surgical and dental supplies. Certificate is dated - May 22, 1940.

Both certificate and the pin feature the very characteristic – Eagle.

In terms if he research, the Archives of Sikorski Institute in London consist documents evidencing that Ambulances were initially contemplated to be used in France, but due to country defeat – they had been shipped to Scotland.

In Scotland, the1st Motor Ambulance Convoy, was initially formed as a small outfit of c40 members in the town of Newburgh, Fife, as part of the Polish 1st Corps (1 Korpusu Polskiego). According to my research to unit moved from Newburgh, Fife and did become a part of , 10th armoured cavalry brigade and so active service in Europe in 1944-14.

Initially, the 1st MAC unit comprised Polish soldiers and British women ambulance drivers from the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, F.A.N.Y. 1MAC were issued with 1½ ton Chevrolet field ambulance panel trucks which consisted crew of 2, a capacity of 10 wounded or 4 stretcher cases, and were donated by the American Committee for the Polish Ambulance fund, and the British American Ambulance Corps, an organization created to provide U.S. gift aid vehicles permitted by the U.S. constitution only on humanitarian grounds, by the then neutral U.S.A

Polish Hat Eagles  

super Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton panel van. lust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fellows,

I have come across this particular variant - while researching the Collection of Eagles at the Sikorski’s in London.
    I would say, the Eagle is very interesting. It is one of the “simplified” variants with not much attention to details. However, it is stamped - which suggests there could be a few more of them.

Politically, it “follows” the pro-Pilsudski design with small shield that is characteristic for Legions’ Eagles.

Perhaps we can ID / categorise it by finding a few more specimens (I think there could be one on the forum already). I am hoverer, more interested in seeing a picture(s) featuring a practical use etc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows
    A Friend has send me pictures presented below - with the ??? for ID.
    I have no idea - it is hard from the picture to say if this one is stamped or casted.

The only fact that seems to hold - that it follows the French made Alu.. 1939/40 pattern.

Fastening is relatively unusual.

Perhaps - any of You has similar variant to present?
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

To continue with pinbacks, a recent pickup to add. From the front a common Gaunt wz.39. But what makes this one unusual is the factory installed pinback fastening. This type of fastening on a Gaunt is more commonly found as a modification to an eagle originally equipped with a threaded post or blade fastening system that has been removed. Such an example is posted at the bottom.

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Hat Eagles

Cheers,
    Tony

Polish Hat Eagles
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

when I acquired this example, I was " just purchasing a Polish hat eagle ", not knowing at the time the myriad of other types that were produced during the war. it has a frosted finish , either that or mildew !

a similar sterling one with a post