Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 121 of 226 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 131 171 221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Welcome!
    it is a very interesting Eagle - can You post better pictures avers and revers?.
    With the probability of 99% - looks to me like so called French version 1939 by well known maker Alu... of Paris.

If this particular Eagle is related to SBSK (of which I am not sure). The date is interesting - it is just 4 days - before September 30th 1940 that was a day where orders had been issued for SBSK to move form Palestine to Egypt.
    What is interesting about this Eagle - It looks like it is in mint condition, that suggests that it had some sentimental value for its owner.

Generally speaking - it is hard to find actual specimens of Alu... Paris Eagles with SBSK items - as only a few officers / NCO had been send to Syria to form the unit - majority of volunteers arrived as "civilians" form various places starting from Poland, Romania, Hungary and finishing on Shanghai.
    Per my observations, Eagles from the "Syrian period of SBSK" are very rare and, in fact, research is not conclusive as to the actual design of those Eagles (as they had been field made). Number of the field made Eagles, use Alu..as the initial pattern for a cast.

My bet - would be - that this Eagle actually belonged to a person who crossed over to Switzerland with 2nd Rifles Div and / or somebody who "crossed" to England with 1st Grenadiers Div, or somebody who did stay in France.

Quote by kiwiwreckdiver View Post
    Seems Im in the right place, can anyone tell me about this Polish cap badge I picked up from the markets in New Zealand recently
    Dose the ingraving have anything to do with the former owners unit ??
    I know the Kiwis fought with the Poles at Mt Cassino so that's how this could have ended up way over here.

Attachment 859484

Fellows,
    This is an example of field made casted Eagle - most likely between 1940 - 44

Perhaps we can be lucky again and ID / "categorise" this variant - by finding the second one with similar characteristic / repeated details. There are a few characteristic features on both Avers and Revers - so clearly it helps.

Polish Hat Eagles
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,

As the summer is in full swing - time for some less serious subjects!
    This is the picture that I have acquired some time ago - featuring the SBSK at the very beginning of their stay at the Latrum Camp in Palestine in Q2 1940.
    In addition to the Eagles - looks like there was somebody else - who deserves an attention!
    It would be good to check in the SBSK chronicle - if the donkey had made to Tobruk and beyond!

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Hat Eagles

Hi there and thanks for that info that is fascinating.
    I have included a pic of the rear, Im yet to pick them up as Im based in Australia and headed to NZ in a couple weeks time.
    I picked it up at auction in New Zealand not long ago , hoping it had something to do with the NZEF and Polish units in Cassino as we don't get a lot of Polish bits turn up in NZ as you can imagine
    However this unit is the bases of those units going forth with the 8th Army fighing along side the Kiwis in many battle of Africa and Italy.
    If only the item could talk right
    Many thanks gents I will log this info with the item in hope for more future research
    Many kind regards
    kiwiwreckdiver

- - ------- - -

Polish Hat Eagles

Hi there and thanks for that info that is fascinating.
    I have included a pic of the rear, Im yet to pick them up as Im based in Australia and headed to NZ in a couple weeks time.
    I picked it up at auction in New Zealand not long ago , hoping it had something to do with the NZEF and Polish units in Cassino as we don't get a lot of Polish bits turn up in NZ as you can imagine
    However this unit is the bases of those units going forth with the 8th Army fighting along side the Kiwis in many battle of Africa and Italy.
    If only the item could talk right
    Many thanks gents I will log this info with the item in hope for more future research
    Many kind regards
    kiwiwreckdiver

Fellows,

Just received - the pictures for identification.

Although we have featured this variant on a few posts before (with good pictures as well), I think it is always good to present more clues / information - especially as pictures are of exceptional quality.

Eagle has been identified / categorised - as Middle East casted version (1940-44/45) with characteristic "dot" on the revers that is easily seen upon closed inspection (red circle).

That characteristic "dot" is an occurring feature seen on various known to date specimens, therefore the suggestion can be made on balance of probabilities, that this particular variant had originated from the same cast / manufacturer.

I think - this variant is relatively rare - especially in good condition, as many of them had been "polished" that resulted in details being lost.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,

I think - this is an ingesting variant and very much worth posting for further investigation / categorisation.

Design looks very similar (the same?) as the 40mm small Eagle with the “legionnaires’” shield by Gaunt of London.
    It is stamped and not casted. Material is unusual for Gaunt and lack of fastening is puzzling too.
    Eagle was found in Poland.

I am wondering – if this is some sort of “by-product” of Gaunt or somebody actually has made and effort to create a stamp (and if yes – when and in what circumstances?).

Any of You with similar specimen?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

And the 2nd very interesting too,

Fellows,
    This is an interesting find (and next step in our research), I think.
    Badge / Eagle by Lauer - that we have discussed in the past -
    It looks like, there was a version of the badge a) without the hallmark / manufacturer's sign and b) made of aluminium c) ribbon with the sentence "precz..." - is of red colour.

I think - this aluminium one is far more difficult to find.

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,
    I have just been send this picture by a friend - it presents the lot of documents that was recently auctioned in Poland (desa).
    I find the docs very interesting as the picture features the bespoke variant of hand made Eagle. Looks like aluminium had been used and considerable dexterity was invested as the product looks of high quality. Most importantly, papers place the Eagle precisely in space and time. Super bonus - owner has been identified as well.

Finally, to complete the unique character of this grouping - i have no idea what the small badge is - some sort of "wing or transport related".
    Perhaps any of You can advise?

Fellows
    Another one - very interesting!!!
    Eagle as an arm - patch.