Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

Thanks Tony,

It certainly looks like the one in the rather blurred photo. There are so many variants to view!

Would the British Army, with the Polish have deceided just how the MSO badge would have looked, and where they would have had it manufactured? I think it might have been too early on after the war for the Russians to have a say in the design???

I know the Russians objected to certain aspects of the naming of parts of the MSO in later years when the British were setting up ie. the Transport Units etc.

Thanks again
    Alan

Thanks Tony,

The badge looks like the one upper example depicted in post#23. What a pity the photo is not ideal for a better look.

Thanks Alan

Hi Tony,

Reading your post I just realised I also had one of these Polish Guards badge examples which I always assumed was a US vetran produced eagle until I read your post. This eagle came with some NSZ-ZJ Brygada Świętokrzyska (Holy Cross Brigade) insignia. After the war, the official name of the unit was: Poland Brigade West Armed Forces (Polska Brygada Zachód NSZ) and also the Holy Cross Brigade became 25 Polish Auxiliary Guard Company stationed in Germany which explains why this eagle was part of the NSZ set.

Formations of the Polish Auxiliary Guard Companies, Germany 1946 initially wore American uniforms dyed black, which distinguished them from the soldiers of the regular army. In 1952, they were issued with grey uniforms and helmets with a white rim and the letters CG (Civilian Guard) Polish Guard Companies located since 1950 in France were equipped with standard issue American military uniforms. Uniform insignia, initially Polish designs in 1946, were replaced by U.S. insignia, with the difference being that they were red. Polish Gaurd units were stationed across Germany with larger centers being in Nuremberg (Nürnberg)-Langwasser, Kaiserslautern, Mannheim, Ludwigsburg, Regensburg, Bremen, and Munich. Polish guard companies operated for more than 22 years, but over time their numbers were reduced and at the end of the 50s units morphed into the Technical Service and functioned until 1967 when then they were finally disbanded—however some former guards were still employed as technical staff at U.S. bases in Germany until the end of the cold war.

My version of the badge has a crude screw-head nut and bolt fixing so maybe it has been changed later on or the badge just had a drilled hole and was attached to the cap by whatever fixing the soldier had to hand??

Also attached a copy of the 'Soldiers' Newspaper' produced by the Polish Military Centre at Nürnberg-Langwasser. I have not been able to find out very much about the Langwasser Polish Military Center... anyone have any information? Who and what did this Polish military center do... apart from publish newspapers?

Two photos of Polish guard units in Germany, 1946-47.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hello Alan, and welcome to the forum.

Please check post #23 earlier in this thread for two examples of post WW2 Polish Guard eagle badges that were made in Germany. Perhaps the eagle on the round backing is the one you are thinking of? It is the only one like it that I know of, and it was used by Polish guard personnel on German terrain in the years immediately following WW2.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles 

I have question/ comment on the dates about uniforms which the Polish guards wore in 1947ish?

I have a photo which quite clearly shows soldiers in their black uniforms. However, I also have photos showing soldiers wearing lighter uniforms and
    carrying the old Sten Gun. Additionally, there is a photo where the soldiers is dressed in normal British Army Great Coat but wearing a Polish cap badge.

Were the photos actually pre 1945, thus the typical British uniform being worn? Maybe an ex Polish Soldier can comment!

The main person depicted in the photos was MSO Guuard in 1947 then exited Germany in 1948 to Australia.

When I have permission to display the private photo I will continue the thread.

Thanks
    Alan

Hi Alan,

Have you seen this webpage:

Mixed Service Organisation Royal Army Service Corps

This website has a number of good photo references of
    A MSO Guard Unit at British Army Headquarters for Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein taken by Mr Lucian J. Holc, ex MSO

Maybe the webmaster will be able to put you in touch with Lucian Holc???

[email protected]

Quote by alan8376 View Post
    I have question/ comment on the dates about uniforms which the Polish guards wore in 1947ish?

I have a photo which quite clearly shows soldiers in their black uniforms. However, I also have photos showing soldiers wearing lighter uniforms and
    carrying the old Sten Gun. Additionally, there is a photo where the soldiers is dressed in normal British Army Great Coat but wearing a Polish cap badge.

Were the photos actually pre 1945, thus the typical British uniform being worn? Maybe an ex Polish Soldier can comment!

The main person depicted in the photos was MSO Guuard in 1947 then exited Germany in 1948 to Australia.

When I have permission to display the private photo I will continue the thread.

Thanks
    Alan

Pfalz DIIIa
    ?

Here are my Eagles!

Cheers.

Michael Collins
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Michael,
    These are fine examples (not sure which size) of what I think the original Polish Badges looked like which were worn in 1947.

Thanks

Pfalz DIIIa
    ?

Michael,
    These are fine examples (not sure which size) of what I think the original Polish Badges looked like which were worn in 1947.

Thanks

Thank you Alan.

The length of the small one is 42mm; width 27mm

The length of the large one is 54.5mm; width 36mm

Pardon my confusion, but are these are Wartime examples?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

Michael Collins

Michael,
    Sorry, I knew what I was thinking, just put it across badly!

The badges depicted. I was asking in which years were they worn by Polish Forces ? Or were they maunufactured specifically to be worn by MSO soldiers post 1945?

Thanks.

Pfalz DIIIa
    ?

Michael,
    Sorry, I knew what I was thinking, just put it across badly!

The badges depicted. I was asking in which years were they worn by Polish Forces ? Or were they maunufactured specifically to be worn by MSO soldiers post 1945?

Thanks.
    Hello Alan.

I am not sure. I am assuming these are Wartime examples based on the input I got from another Polish Collector.

Another set of eyes never hurts though. All comments welcome.

Cheers.

Michael Collins

Page 13 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast