Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 160 of 226 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 170 210 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Finally obtained – excellent pictures of very rare variant of the “classic” – Polish Army Eagle – by J.R. Gaunt & Son of London – previously featured on the Forum.

This particular variant has a few distinguishable features (see, red boxes) and is seldom seen. My research to date suggests that this variant emerges in connection with the 24th Lancers – regiment of the 1st Polish Arm Division – but all this “sightings” could just be a few coincidences.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

?

France 1939/40 is my favourite episode, first - because it is still so unexplored and second - because there are still so many myths and misconceptions about the Fall of France.

Now coming back to your question...

On September 1939 Polish Navy evacuates to Britain and operates from Plymouth and Harwich harbours. Early October 1939 rear-admiral Jerzy Swirski, who escaped to France via Romania reports in Paris and gets mission to restore Polish Navy. On 14th November together with Sikorski he visits London to discuss cooperation agreement with Royal Navy. Since then Polish Navy is bound to and operates under control of the Royal Navy. From Nov 25th new cadets are being trained on base ship ORP "Gdynia" based in Devonport. I would assume there was no need to produce Polish Navy eagles in France, HOWEVER...

Polish Navy Personnel under kmdr. ppor. Tadeusz Mindak begun basic cadet training in Camp de Coetquidan, from where majority of Navy cadets (both refugees from Poland and volunteers) was coming from. That personel was moved to Britain and reported to ORP Gdynia late March 1940. Therefore it is possible that between end of Nov 1939 and March 1940 somewhere in France Polish Navy eagles were produced (Alavoine Paris?). I would start searching from looking through Camp de Coetquidan photos from that period.

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Finally obtained – excellent pictures of very rare variant of the “classic” – Polish Army Eagle – by J.R. Gaunt & Son of London – previously featured on the Forum.

This particular variant has a few distinguishable features (see, red boxes) and is seldom seen. My research to date suggests that this variant emerges in connection with the 24th Lancers – regiment of the 1st Polish Arm Division – but all this “sightings” could just be a few coincidences.
    the orzel in its natural environment !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Incredible! super!
    This is the first time - I see this eagle on Lock's Hat.
    Great contribution - thanks!

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    the orzel in its natural environment !

Nothing is going to bit the previous post from P-Z, but I thought it may make sense to add this pictures for completes re Spink's variants.

Recently downloaded - excellent snaps of a rare variant of Spink Eagle so called "symmetric" one (discussed within previous posts).

Over years - I have seen only a few examples with intact blades - so good to see them complete and in place.

Fellows
    One more from Sikorski's Collection!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Incredible! super!
    This is the first time - I see this eagle on Lock's Hat.
    Great contribution - thanks!
    I have found that in my world rogatywkas are the ' rara avis ' and are very hard to come by. Fortunately, this particular example has this type of eagle. I do not normally like to disturb items but in this case it is just a spin of a nut to remove the bird and no damage is done. Of the three hats I have seen in the past over quite a period of time, all have been Lock & Co. examples and all have had the bladed Gaunt variety. I have been in contact with Lock , somewhat naively I suppose, but I was informed that they do not have any records from the period. We will go on surmising I expect.
    Last edited by prosty zolnierz; 01-16-2017 at 06:44 PM.

One of my Lock rogs with the so called "symmetric Spink", same blade type fastening as the eagle in Artur's post #1595 above. The badge is original this hat. Unfortunately, Mr. P.Z. has one up on me with the sweet manufacturer's storage box .

Cheers,
    Tony

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    One of my Lock rogs with the so called "symmetric Spink", same blade type fastening as the eagle in Artur's post #1595 above. The badge is original this hat. Unfortunately, Mr. P.Z. has one up on me with the sweet manufacturer's storage box .

Cheers,
    Tony
    not to mention all the tissue paper ! as a matter of interest Tony, is the cap band on your rogatywka velvet material ? the one on mine is a fine wool.

I have found that in my world rogatywkas are the ' rara avis ' and are very hard to come by. . .
    Yes, in my world too. Rarely ever seen on the market. For several reasons. First off, in contrast to the pre-war army, the wear of the rogatywka by the PSZnZ was authorized only for officers. Enlisted ranks were limited to British issue headwear. And many Polish officers preferred British issue berets and FS caps, possibly opting out of purchasing a pricey rogatywka. Then there was the scarcity of suppliers willing to tackle rogatywka production for what was a relatively small market.

Here's an interesting excerpt from the Piechota 1939-1945 technical manuals issued in the early 1970's describing the differences in the exile made rogatywka to its pre-war counterpart. Titled "Officers Garrison Rogatywka Made in England" it also states that "garrison rogatywki were worn by officers in Great Britain and the Near East, but never in Italy" - of course referring to the Polish 2nd Corps. And indeed, photographic records seem to bear this out. Berets, FS and to a lesser extent GS caps were de rigueur. Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen a PSZ era photo of General Anders in a rogatywka?

Polish Hat Eagles

I've also found that exile made rogs are less sturdy than pre-war examples, many succumbing to the ravages of time ahead of those of pre-war vintage. The middle band area, which is the structural core, just didn't hold up as well. More than a few that I've seen have deteriorated in this manner:

Polish Hat Eagles

. . . is the cap band on your rogatywka velvet material ? the one on mine is a fine wool.
    It is velvet. This is in keeping with pre-war hat band specifications for rogatywki used in all of the artillery branches (dark green). Velvet hat bands were also used for Engineers, Signals, and Medical Service. All other branches including infantry blue were regular wool fabric.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne