Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 226 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    . . . even items previously considered relatively popular are being snapped up and priced up. I continue to believe that new-comers will face a huge disappointment as it is practically impossible to assemble a meaningful collections of Eagles or Badges in short period of time despite significant financial resources one may have – this is passion that requires managing expectations over years.
    Well said Mr. Wadowicznic. This is definitely a hobby the requires patience and money in ever increasing supplies! As you say, even the once common pieces are fewer and farther between, and prices have doubled, tripled and more. Gone forever are the days of the $25 eagle badge and $40 Cross of Valour.

Can You please post backs of the Eagles?
    A
    I will strive to do so promptly. These are mounted in a frame, which will require some disassembly. In the meantime I will post some archived pics I have of the Alavoine and also some ‘middle east’ versions. Stay tuned.

I highly recommend you pick up the Zawistowski books on the subject. They are excellent. I am expecting his new book on pre-IIRP eagles within the next week.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

I have the same one and I think that is UK made.

Hello!

Wadowicznic your eagle was make in Alavoine Paris in 1939 year. Very nice example.

Regards

Tony and Others

Just to add the Guant’s Family – this one is my recent acquisition.

It appears to be different one to the Guant’s varieties All of Us posted before.

Please notice differences
    - Different marking of Guant – font
    - Very silver finish
    - And most importantly this one seems to be stamped from a thin sheet of metal not coasted as majority of examples

Interestingly it has “BS 1941” scratched at the back – I do not pay any attention to it as I am not sure if this marks really had been made by previous owned in 1941 – but if yes – this may suggest that the 1 type of Guant Eagle was actually stamped not casted – what do You think about this theory?.

Please also see my post on Pilot's wing on Badges Forum

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi w,

There were two Guant maker mark types on the larger wz.39 eagle badges that I am aware of. Pictured below are three Gaunt eagles : non marked threaded post type, and two marked ones with fastening blades. Interesting to note the difference in the fastening blades. I believe that these are the two types of marks you are referring to. (Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, taken moments ago under artificial light conditions).

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Hello!

Very nice Gaunt eagle Yes, i think your theory can be correct, but it's very hard to give proof.

I want to share you two my favourites embroidered eagles
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

?

they are probably post war veteran issue production. I have one of these. Thay are made on too thin fabric to be used in field. I was talking about them with T.Zawistowski and his theory is the same.

M

I like them - unusual patterns.
    Not sure about their origin – but I have to say I have not seen the same exact ones on veterans’ hats here in London.
    However, on a number of black “berets” of both 2 Cor and 1 Panzer Division – I have seen “a sort of similar one” – but definitely not the same - with much less details and really not that detailed design.

Secondly, as far as I remember – according the book by Jerzy Murgrabia Symbols of PSZ, in 1939/40 in France there had been rubber eagles embodied / stamped on the canvas – apparently they did not last long.

Thank You for the answer on Guant - I am very puzzled by it.

Quote by MichalMag View Post
    Hello!

Very nice Gaunt eagle Yes, i think your theory can be correct, but it's very hard to give proof.

I want to share you two my favourites embroidered eagles

Hello!

About this two eagles i can only say that they are not post war, they are much earlier

About their thickness, yes they are thin, but look at BeVo made eagles, they are also thin and they were in use.

Regards

. . .
    - And most importantly this one seems to be stamped from a thin sheet of metal not coasted as majority of examples
    . . . this may suggest that the 1 type of Guant Eagle was actually stamped not casted – what do You think about this theory?.
    I have never seen a cast Gaunt eagle. Everyone I have ever seen was die stamped.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Sorry Tony
    My mistake for not being precise – the point i wanted to reflect is that the one i have recently posted – seems to be stamped from relatively thin sheet of metal roll (only a 2-3mm) where the ones we both have (previous posts) appear to be “heavier” in comparison to this one.
    I will take pictures from an angle over the next couple of days.

By the way – i will be in Toronto from this Sunday until Friday next week – so we can chat over the phone

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I have never seen a cast Gaunt eagle. Everyone I have ever seen was die stamped.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 18 of 226 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast