Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 186 of 226 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 196 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Fellows,
    For some time now - i have been trying to ID / contextualise this one!

Understood to be UK made, period uncertain.

Any of You - any suggestions - materials etc, please share?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Fellows,

I am very happy to report an another positive Identification (see previous posts)
    The 2nd matching specimen has been found in IPMS's archives. Eagle is labelled as made and bough in Iraq in 1943.

Very rare Eagle, no doubts!
    Fellows,
    This could be an another successful identification of the new variant.

Rare Eagle - according sikorski's archives, made in Alexandra.
    Artur, when can we expect your book on APW cast brass eagles?

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony
    Thank You for having much faith in my ability to cover the subject.

I would say - still a lot of things to discover / material to collect - but - findings so far are very rewarding!.

It is clear to me that it is only a matter of time, as the digital revolution progresses with unstoppable force, very interesting photographs and actual specimens from various dedicated archives / museums / family albums will reach the net allowing us to ID unknown variants.

Book ? - perhaps - as a retirement project!

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Artur, when can we expect your book on APW cast brass eagles?

Cheers,
    Tony

For some time now - i have been trying to ID / contextualise this one!

Understood to be UK made, period uncertain.

Any of You - any suggestions - materials etc, please share?
    Artur, I'll stick my neck out and say that I have my suspicions about this eagle being of wartime vintage. I am wary of it being a post war copy, maybe a Bialkiewicz product, patterned after the well known and sought after Gaunt eagle: (click on image to magnify)

Polish Hat Eagles

I was hesitating to make this post, but on second thought it may be a good thing to bring it up for open discussion. I've seen this eagle floated on the market from time to time, typically appearing quite fresh without any appreciable wear to the gilt surfaces. Contrast this with the Gaunt eagle pictured above.

Here's one sold about a week or so ago by a long time militaria seller based in Poland who has, shall we say, occasional difficulty in honestly describing his wares. It was auctioned along with a very rare (if genuine) squadron badge. Only one bidder, who took the set for the low opening price. Perhaps something can also be gleaned from the lack in interest in that auction when considering how aggressive the market is for any genuine WW2 era air force insignia. To reconfirm, I am not passing judgement, only hoping to learn something new.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Polish Hat Eagles

Regards,
    Tony
    This looks like a post-war Białkiewicz eagle to me. Perhaps a souvenir badge.

Cheers,
    Kosa

Hi Kosa,

Yes, it is an unusual badge in several respects, but is a legitimate wartime product made by J.R. Gaunt & Son. According to Tomasz Zawistowski in his book “Polskie Orły do Czapek 1939-1945”, page 119, production likely dates to after March 1941. Here’s an image taken from the book showing the makers label affixed to the reverse.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

?

Hi Tony,

I ment the badge Wadowicznic posted in post #1851. It's a post war badge.

Cheers,
    Kosa

?

Hi Tony,

I ment the badge Wadowicznic posted in post #1851. It's a post war badge.

Cheers,
    Kosa

Hi Piotr, your comment was posted along with the image of the Gaunt, hence my misunderstanding. Yes, I suspect Artur's may be a Bialkiewicz also . I'd wager that it is stamped in a soft alloy easily bendable by finger pressure alone.

Regards,
    Tony

?

...your comment was posted along with the image of the Gaunt, hence my misunderstanding...
    I know that was confusing. Excuse me my negligence

Regards,
    Kosa