MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 44 of 226 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 94 144 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    . . . And this is not my area of expertise: the green background on these: why ?
    For use by infantry and other army units that wore green headwear. Black backing was for use by units that wore dark headwear such as the armoured corps.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Happy Easter everyone - Wesołych Świąt Wielkanocnych!

Following a discussion with a friend I assembled this side by side comparison of wz.39 exile forces hat eagles and thought it may be helpful to post it here. I kept to the ‘purely’ wz.39 versions where close similarities between the various makers often confuse collectors. Excluded are the stylistic departures such as the Swiss made 2DSP, Bari Italy variant (post #161), plastic Stanley’s (post #302), and others that are easily differentiated.

This is not by any means a complete group, but does include the most common types. There are other less seen full size wz.39’s not pictured here (i.e. post #375; 394; 396). The captions describe the most typical characteristics, although there are exceptions (post #371).

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Tony
    Thank You this truly is an excellent Study of “1939 Type” Polish Free Forces Army Eagle

I am sure a lot of collectors will find this “side by side” very useful.

If I may add, one additional Variation of 39 (pictures attached).
    We have debated it previously on the forum (briefly). I call it the "hybrid"

To me, this Particular Variation remains an unsolved puzzle
    - very high quality
    - similarities and differences with Guant(s)
    - no clarity re manufacturer . However, most likely UK

Has anybody got more pictures of this Variant – so we can asses
    a) additional features
    b) how rare this Variant is?
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

?

probably Gaunt.

Side by side comparison of obverse to a Gaunt product. Same number of outer wing feathers, yet quite different.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

in my opinion both are Gaunt's - this manunfacturer produced more than 100 000 pieces and I do not believe he used one stamp only.

Yes, Gaunt did produce a lot of eagles, and several dies were used as evidenced by the maker mark variations visible on the reverse. Some examples are pictured elsewhere on this thread. However, these Gaunt eagles all appeared essentially identical from the obverse view.

What makes this one so intriguing is the marked departure in the wing pattern. If it is in fact Gaunt then it was produced in a relatively small quantity because it is almost never encountered. The Zawistowski reference omits it entirely. A rare bird for sure!

Regards,
    Tony

Fellows
    A Friend from Poland has been kind enough to supply this picture to facilitate discussions about the “Small Eagles”
    I think that
    1. The one on the left had been made in Germany
    2. One in the in the middle – not 100% sure
    3. One on the right side – to my knowledge, various sources are diverging in opinions regarding the origin between Germany and Scotland

Any additional information / details – Anyone?

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Fellows
    The forum has been quiet recently.
    What is the reason?
    No interesting material / topics / time – or possibly all of the above!

Let’s not let it run-down!
    Where is the enthusiasm that was displayed only a few weeks ago?

On my side
    I have been spending some time recently to research the “German Made Free Polish Eagles” – i have located some interesting photographs and i will share them when received.

However, i can not find any relevant information (maker / statistic etc) re the “Aluminium Eagle” (in the middle in the post above)

Any clues / info / hypothesis etc.

Fellows
    Just to share some recent finds too
    I was lucky to “hunt down” this Guant Eagle
    Looks excellent / made of brass
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

Page 44 of 226 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 94 144 ... LastLast