Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

As promised, finally getting around to addressing a couple of points raised earlier:

Quote by Taurus View Post
    I do not quite follow you. How come you apply a late 30s regulation to a badge made in early 20s? The Polish hat badge in my photo was made around 1925.
    This eagle badge was definitely not made around 1925. This pattern is of late 1930’s vintage, as are all eagle badges marked “BM”. You had previously cited the "Warunki techniczne materiałów wojskowych" publication of the Dep. Intendentury. MsWojsk. This document issued in 1933 specified the alpacca alloy composition for eagle badges (14% nickel, 66% copper, 20% zinc). It was at this time that eagle production moved away from brass to white metal, either stamped entirely in the alloy, or in some cases plated. This was typically denoted by the letters “BM” applied by some manufacturers to their eagles, and was also found on other uniform components produced in the latter half of the 1930’s such as belt buckles, officer cap visor rims, etc. (an example of each posted below)

I offer this bit of supporting evidence for the production period of these Skarnik and Fiszbein eagles. Pictured below is an original, unaltered and complete wz.35 infantry officer’s rogatywka cap from my collection. It was obtained from the family of the officer. It is dated on the inside of the sweatband May 2, 1938 (a known practice of this particular hat maker, J. Miron, Wilno). The original eagle is a Skarnick and Fiszbein product of the same pattern as yours, bearing the familiar anchor mark. This distinct eagle pattern (curiously also produced by GUZPOL) is commonly found on wz.35 officer rogatywka caps of the latter 1930’s. They are not found as original equipment on earlier pattern rogatywki, which came equipped with earlier type wz.19 eagle badges.

You can judge the production date by many indicators including the signature, the shape of the washer, the shape of nut and the post to name just a few.
    The majority of hat eagles, especially from the first half of the IIRP period do not have maker marks. Very little production information has survived from pre-WW2 manufacturers, so many of the surviving eagles remain unknown as to their origin. This fact is widely acknowledged in reference literature on the topic. Secondly, in contrast to regimental and commemorative badges, nuts (and washers) when used as a fastening method on eagles were rarely marked with the badge maker’s name. And by their nature they are easily interchangeable as post diameters and thread pitches were common between many eagles. So this is not too reliable for deriving much useful information regarding a badge maker or production date.

On another subject. The Polish hat badge on the left (#163) which you suppose to be a French variant of Alavoine production is actually a Palestine stamped brass plated eagle
    It was an eagle that I hadn’t investigated at time of that post over two and a half years ago. I may have just acquired it back then, and was observing that it had very similar design details to the known Alavoine it was pictured with. I correctly identified it in subsequent post #432 where this same eagle is pictured on the top row second from left.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hope nobody here got fooled by this wonder that just sold on ebay. The seller described it as an “Old WW2 Era Polish V Victory Army or Services Badge”.

In reality a modern (post 1990 issue) Polish Airforce eagle with the wings clipped and a “V” stuck on. Nice try.

The trouble some people go to so they can make a buck . . .

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Fellows,

I received these pictures from a collector in France (Adrian helmet + Polish Eagle).

I think they may be very relevant and could provide the valuable indication (possibly even confirmation?) as to the timing of production and use of this specific pattern of French Eagle.

If any of You has the Eagle of this particular pattern – please post the pictures.

Any comments on this pattern would be appreciated too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

Hi Tony,

I did inform the seller of the wz93 Cap badge with the V Chevron that it was a modern piece, he even emailed me back thanking me for the information but did not change the details on ebay.

acquired over the passage of time, variations on a theme. wasn't present at the time and place of manufacture so cannot vouch for their authenticity. could be in with a chance though. as a matter of interest the screw post has a royal or imperial thread , most likely BA ( British Association )

Hi
    I would say – Great Set of “Spink” Eagles.
    I would notice 2 points
    1. Please notice the top left Eagle – the wings at the link with the torso are symmetrical. This is the variation I have presented above . From my experience this particular “symmetrical” Spink is far less common than “non-symmetrical” one” variant (3 of your remaining Eagles).
    2. The lower right – seems to be casted not stamped. Personally, I am not sure if the casted one is a period made.

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    acquired over the passage of time, variations on a theme. wasn't present at the time and place of manufacture so cannot vouch for their authenticity. could be in with a chance though. as a matter of interest the screw post has a royal or imperial thread , most likely BA ( British Association )

greetings, giving the bottom right eagle a good coat of looking at. had the wire brush on it. it is die struck but rear is rough as a bear's arse. could be one of those " early bird's " formed from lightweight gauge metal. there again could be garbage.

Fellows
    Worth posting – I think!
    An “artistic” approach to presentation of Polish WW2 Eagles
    I sort of like it – hope some of You too.

One More
    click to enlarge

cheers!

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Fellows
    Worth posting – I think!
    An “artistic” approach to presentation of Polish WW2 Eagles
    I sort of like it – hope some of You too.

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    One More
    click to enlarge

cheers!
    I like the top one best - better colour contrast.

By the way - What on earth are you doing with your badges in the woods???

Nice one

James

Page 52 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 152 ... LastLast