Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 80 of 226 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 130 180 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

I have just spotted the pictures on the ebay - Polish Free Navy Eagle (Gaunt version).

Very unusual variant when it comes to fixing arrangements (2-omegas / lugs).
    I have never seen such variant and do not know what to think about this Eagle.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

Does the side view photo look as though there was once a centre post if so maybe later repaired with the two loop fixings found on British badges?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Does the side view photo look as though there was once a centre post if so maybe later repaired with the two loop fixings found on British badges?
    Certainly the orientation of the individual loop is unusual. If the loops were turned through 90 degrees the badge could be fixed using a single split pin north - south which would be much more usual. As it is the badge requires two pins. So yes almost definitely a repair.

Nice looking badge though

J

Fellows
    I think - an interesting find!
    I have rarely seen 2 specimens of "casted Eagles" that appear to come from the same workshop as they share the same or very similar features / shapes etc.

To my mind, such similarities - allow to categorise / name such a specific pattern
    Unfortunately - a number to unanswered questions still remain (manufacturer / period / place etc)

The made of metal, characteristic, Poland shoulder badge - may provide an interesting reference point as to the origin of that pattern.
    However, I do not know for 100% where such badge was used - I am suspecting (very generically) - Middle East - but nothing more
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

I would very much like to see a period photo showing these Poland titles in wear. There's a shroud of mystery that surrounds them and also these sand cast eagles as to their exact production date, location and maker(s).

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony
    Regarding the Poland - metal badge.
    I am not sure how representative and definitive my observation is (most likely not) - but, I have seen the pictures of Polish Refuges / Displaced Persons that had been taken in a camp in Africa (most likely Rhodesia) that seemed to have "similar" Poland arm badges - but can not be 100% sure that it was the same pattern / material etc (B&W picture etc).
    Anyways - as far as I understand - a number of Polish Civilians had been evacuated further to Africa after getting to Palestine from Russia with the Ander's Army.
    Unfortunately, I do not know statistics / details of that African evacuation.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I would very much like to see a period photo showing these Poland titles in wear. There's a shroud of mystery that surrounds them and also these sand cast eagles as to their exact production date, location and maker(s).

Cheers,
    Tony

Made in France in 1939/40 - Polish Air Force Eagle
    Recently sold on ebay - pictures for the record (unfortunately pictures of poor quality)
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post

Cheers,
    Tony

Polish Hat Eagles

An "Australia" national tab made in Middle-East probably same maker as the "Poland" tab:
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Fellows
    This post is to commemorate the 69th aniversory of the Battle of Monte Cassino
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

That’s the actual flag that was hoisted over the ruins of the monastery by the 12th Podolski Lancers on May 18, 1944.

Polish Hat Eagles

The raising of the flag after this terribly bloody and costly battle was accompanied by bugler Lance Sgt. Emil Czech playing the Hejnał Mariacki

You Tube link: Hejna

Polish Hat Eagles

Out of respect for their British comrades, General Anders obtained permission from General Leese of the British Eighth Army to raise the British Union Jack next to the Polish colours that morning.

A little known fact is that the first patrol that entered Abbey first hoisted the blue and red with white stripe regimental cavalry pennon of the Podolski Lancers. The story goes that the pennon was hastily constructed out of a blue handkerchief and part of a Red Cross flag. A white bandage served as the white stripe separating the blue and red fabrics.

This is that pennon, also on display at the Sikorski Museum:

Polish Hat Eagles

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 80 of 226 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 130 180 ... LastLast