Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 81 of 226 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 91 131 181 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

?

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

Marynarka Wojenna

Here are a few bits I have on the Polish Navy. I am not very confident about the large officers orzel but the smaller bullion looks pretty good. As usual feedback is always appreciated.

Piwo

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Tony
    I have just noticed that I actually have some detailed pictures of the items that are displayed in the MC showcase at the Sikorski's Institute.
    Your picture (at the bottom) features the very interesting Eagle - I am attaching detailed picture - it is the present from colonel / general Rundicki to general Anders- I think the inscription reflects the dramatic circumstances of the Battle.

Polish Hat Eagles

Hi Artur, thank you for posting the close up of a very interesting item. I can’t quite make out the date (12th?) but suspect the crisis refers to the very difficult decisions General Anders faced in the wake of the bloody first attempt the Poles made to reach the Abbey on May 11-12th, only to be turned back after suffering very heavy losses. I look forward to getting more information about the circumstances behind this item’s presentation to the General during my visit the museum later this year . . . hopefully

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    That’s the actual flag that was hoisted over the ruins of the monastery by the 12th Podolski Lancers on May 18, 1944.

Attachment 514663

The raising of the flag after this terribly bloody and costly battle was accompanied by bugler Lance Sgt. Emil Czech playing the Hejnał Mariacki

You Tube link: Hejna

Attachment 514661

Out of respect for their British comrades, General Anders obtained permission from General Leese of the British Eighth Army to raise the British Union Jack next to the Polish colours that morning.

A little known fact is that the first patrol that entered Abbey first hoisted the blue and red with white stripe regimental cavalry pennon of the Podolski Lancers. The story goes that the pennon was hastily constructed out of a blue handkerchief and part of a Red Cross flag. A white bandage served as the white stripe separating the blue and red fabrics.

This is that pennon, also on display at the Sikorski Museum:

Attachment 514662

Regards,
    Tony
    That would have been one large blue handkerchief
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Haha - my thoughts exactly! . . . and I was awaiting someone to post a comment.

I looked closely for a seam where maybe two pieces were stitched together, but can’t see anything. So either they did use extra large handkerchiefs, or the account isn’t entirely accurate. As I said: the story goes . . .

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

So many badge variants during such a relatively short period!

Beautiful but totally boggling.

Quote by easty View Post
    So many badge variants during such a relatively short period!

Beautiful but totally boggling.
    The plethora of different ‘hat eagles’ very much mirrors the turbulent Polish WW2 experience. Fighting on virtually every front of the war and often finding themselves near the bottom of the supply chain the Poles manufactured their uniform insignia by any means available or via ways they devised themselves. Now 70+ years later it all makes for fascinating study and interesting collecting!

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Are there any specifically adapted AK versions of these badges?

While an underground and theoretically 'invisible' army I'd say the temptation to wear the nation's emblem on operations would be irresistable!

Quote by easty View Post
    Are there any specifically adapted AK versions of these badges?

While an underground and theoretically 'invisible' army I'd say the temptation to wear the nation's emblem on operations would be irresistable!
    Yes and not just the AK but also other underground organisations, of which there were many. Often a mix of pre-war eagles from various regiments and periods...basically whatever eagle cap badges they could find at the time were used, and if they didn't have them in quantity then underground workshops would manufacture the badges.

Attached are 4 AK cap eagles which will give you an idea of the variety of designs and different manufacturing methods and substrates used.

Polish Hat Eagles

See forum link: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...-5/#post674739
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 81 of 226 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 91 131 181 ... LastLast