Page 86 of 152 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

?

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Fellows,

Looks like we have managed to conduct another positive "identification / categorisation" - new Variant of Casted Eagle
    2 specimens found

This is en excellent find!
    Please enlarge the picture

Thanks to MK!
    Hi there,

What is your research methodology? Do you know what sand casting is? Thanks.

Hi Kosa
    Sorry for keeping you waiting for my response - I have been busy lately - sorry.

Regarding - Methodology - presumably - you asking for methodology I have been using to "categorise / identify - new variants". As mentioned a few times in the posts - it is nothing more than a crude "try and error" approach, that is far away from professional approach applied my archivists / historians etc. It is just an approach of a bunch of enthusiasts - based on trying to a) find 2 identical specimens and b) find some written and / or photographic records to go with a newly "identified" variant to provide for source info. I find step a) relatively easy with help of forum members, but step b) is usually very hard.

Re Mid-East made Eagles - the library of pictures is quite extensive - various regimental books + archives in London (sikorski / pilsudski institutes) + press from that time.
    Libraries of pictures are smaller (from my experience) in relation to 1 Core (UK / Scotland) and 1AD and other polish Units in Germany post 45.
    Overall - I would say the subject of Polish Free Forces - Eagles is well under-researched - and probably we will never 100% identify many variants re manufacturer / time / unit etc

Regarding - casting technologies - actually, I have made some effort over years to learn a bit and see some processes - but again - I consider myself far form being well acquainted with the subject.

All in all - on both subjects / points above - constructive comments / posts / pictures are invited - so feel free.

Please post - your most interesting / intriguing Eagle - perhaps we can "identify / categorise" it

Quote by kosa View Post
    Hi there,

What is your research methodology? Do you know what sand casting is? Thanks.

Fellows
    Again fruits of the cooperation with Tony - looks like another "positive categorisation" - 2 very similar specimens - see the "dent" on avers and details on reverse.
    Looks like both eagles may belong to the same production run.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	592197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aab.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	592198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aac.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	592199

checking for dents. will take pics on the morrow.

?

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Hi Kosa
    Sorry for keeping you waiting for my response - I have been busy lately - sorry.

Regarding - Methodology - presumably - you asking for methodology I have been using to "categorise / identify - new variants". As mentioned a few times in the posts - it is nothing more than a crude "try and error" approach, that is far away from professional approach applied my archivists / historians etc. It is just an approach of a bunch of enthusiasts - based on trying to a) find 2 identical specimens and b) find some written and / or photographic records to go with a newly "identified" variant to provide for source info. I find step a) relatively easy with help of forum members, but step b) is usually very hard.

Re Mid-East made Eagles - the library of pictures is quite extensive - various regimental books + archives in London (sikorski / pilsudski institutes) + press from that time.
    Libraries of pictures are smaller (from my experience) in relation to 1 Core (UK / Scotland) and 1AD and other polish Units in Germany post 45.
    Overall - I would say the subject of Polish Free Forces - Eagles is well under-researched - and probably we will never 100% identify many variants re manufacturer / time / unit etc

Regarding - casting technologies - actually, I have made some effort over years to learn a bit and see some processes - but again - I consider myself far form being well acquainted with the subject.

All in all - on both subjects / points above - constructive comments / posts / pictures are invited - so feel free.

Please post - your most interesting / intriguing Eagle - perhaps we can "identify / categorise" it
    Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Pardon me for my lack of excitement.

Best

may have presented these before, can't remember
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3266.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	592803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3265.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	592802  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Fellows
    Very good Picture of the Cadets Eagle - I have found it among pictures I did take at the sikorski's institute.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kadet1.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	593682  

Fellows
    I think - this Eagle is worth posting.

It is a very interesting variation of 40mm - Eagle made by Gaunt of London.
    What makes it interesting it its fixing - that is unusual for the "Gaunt - Land Army" (typically - tread, is seen) - this one has the fixing as for the Gaunt made - Navy Eagle.

This is first time I see the fixing of that nature for the "Gaunt- Land Army" Eagle.

This could be an example of short / rare production run - I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Fellows
    I have just found an interesting Eagle and perhaps we collectively, again, can conduct the "simplified identification" - by finding the 2nd example.

Please notice some very characteristic features - front and back (specifically).

Name:	AKUK1.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	606814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AKUK4.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	606816  

Name:	AKUK5.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	606817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AKUK2.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	606815  

Name:	AKUK3.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	606818  

Fellows,
    Perhaps one of you can help - by providing some pictures, clues, sources etc?

I have been trying to learn more about this particular Eagle and, specifically, figure out if this variant can be with no-doubts connected with Polish Free Forces in France 1939 - 40.

One of the hypothesis I have - centres around the fact than a very similar variant is clearly identified in literature (Zawistowski, Eagles 1917 - 19, page 126) as the "NCOs Eagle" made in Paris in 1917/18 for the Polish "Blue Army" (Haller's Army). However the fastening and shape of the crown are slightly different.

Perhaps, like in case of some other Hallers Eagles - the stamps had been re-used in 1939/40 to re-strike Eagles for the Polish Volunteers joining the Army under gen Sikorski.

However, I have not yet come across any pictures / sources - to confirm that.

Name:	France AK 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	609407