Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 89 of 226 FirstFirst ... 39 79 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 99 139 189 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

?

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    In the meantime - please post pictures of POW Eagles - it would be great to inventories some "variants"
    Voilà

Quote by kosa View Post
    Would this actually be considered "PoW" produced?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Would this actually be considered "PoW" produced?
    A POW eagle badge but not manufactured by prisoners of war.

Was "internment" the same as being a prisoner of war? Those interned in Switzerland were free to enrol with Swiss universities to continue their higher education if they wanted to do so. They were also allowed to retain their Polish armed forces insignia which I do not think was true for PoWs hence eagles etc made in PoW camps were produced clandestinely by individual hands whereas I believe the DSP eagle was mass-manufactured by a commercial company for the interned Polish forces.

A PoW eagle etched onto a spoon:

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Hat Eagles

Below a similar spoon eagle found in:
    "Orzeł - Symbol Przynależności," by Lech Bujanowicz; page 79
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles 

?

Was "internment" the same as being a prisoner of war?
    Internment is the imprisonment or confinement of people without trial. Prisoner of War is any person captured or interned without trial by a belligerent power during war.

Those interned in Switzerland were free to enrol with Swiss universities to continue their higher education if they wanted to do so.
    I recommend “Taniec na linie, nad przepacią” by Jan Żaryn, and also „Droga wiodła ugorem” by Stanisław Sosabowski. Both will give you a better understanding of „internment” in Switzerland.

They were also allowed to retain their Polish armed forces insignia which I do not think was true for PoWs hence eagles etc made in PoW camps were produced clandestinely by individual hands whereas I believe the DSP eagle was mass-manufactured by a commercial company for the interned Polish forces.
    You are talking about trench art. Of course the 2DSP eagle badge is not trench art but it is a POW aegle badge by definition as the 2DSP soldiers were prisoners of war. You may wish to visit The Polish Army In France & 2DSP Internment in Switzerland 1939 – 1940 to read more on the 2DSP Internment in Switzerland.

Cheers

?

Default Łambinowice Stalag VIII B

Badge made in winter 1944. The owner fought in Mokotów in 1944. He was in Pułk BASZTA, Batalion "Olza", Kompania ,,0-2".

Did the Swiss not agree with the Polish forces that they could only seek refuge in neutral Switzerland on condition that they were interned and took no further direct part in the war...hence they were given every assistance with further education at Swiss universities and colleges? I am pretty sure an agreement to be interned by the parties is not the same as being interned without trial? But I am not as well read on this issue as you probably are?

?

I am pretty sure an agreement to be interned by the parties is not the same as being interned without trial?
    I leave it to war lawyers

All the best for 2014!

?

Default Not a POW eagle badge but a very dear eagle badge to many Poles

For your viewing pleasure the Holy Cross Brigade [Brygada Świętkorzyska NSZ] badges.

Page 89 of 226 FirstFirst ... 39 79 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 99 139 189 ... LastLast