Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Polish Military Cemeteries

Article about: from my recent visit to Powązki Military Cemetery and The Warsaw Rising Museum may be of some interest to you guys. Enjoy. Best, Kosa

?

Default Polish Military Cemeteries

Moderator Note:

Moving Kosa’s photos over to a dedicated thread. If anyone has photos of grave markers, memorials, monuments, and the like for Polish military heroes of the past please post here. This does not need to be limited to those located in Poland.

During my recent visit to Poland the busy itinerary included stops at cemeteries where famous military figures have been laid to rest. It may seem morbid to some, but the old cemeteries in Poland are fascinating places. So much different than what we have here in Canada. Pictures to be posted later.

Regards,
    Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from my recent visit to Powązki Military Cemetery and The Warsaw Rising Museum may be of some interest to you guys. Enjoy.

Best,
    Kosa
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 09-14-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: addtion of introductory text

Hi Kosa, thanks for the photos. I visited the Old Powązki Cemetery back in June but did not see this area, so am assuming that these were taken at the “new” Powązki Cemetery - ? I have some interesting photos from several cemeteries visited while in Poland. My objective at the Old Powązki was to find Marshal Śmigły-Rydz’s final resting place, which I did after a longer than expected hunt.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Default Kasia Borowinska ps. "Magda" Powazki, Warszawa, Poland

Hi Tony,

Old Powazki and Powazki Military Cemetery are two different cemeteries. The Military Cementery/Powazki Wojskowe or the New Powazki is no more than 4 blocks away from the Old Powazki. Any bus from the Old Powązki will take you to the New Powazki/Powazki Wojskowe.
    Indeed, the Old Powazki is a huge cemetery and I can remember I needed an extended hunt too when I was there for the first time.

While on objectives. My recent objective at the Old Powazki was to visit Kasia Borowinska’s symbolic tombstone.
    Kasia was 21 years old when she got killed in action in Mokotów district on the 26th of September in 1944. She got involved in a fight with German tanks at Szustra and Wisniowa street near a telephone exchange building and got killed while she was rescuing wounded comrades from her Coy. She was a nurse in Coy B2, Baltyk Battalion, Baszta Regiment. She was awarded the Cross of Valour posthumously.
    Her body has never been identified and she is burried in an unnamed grave in the Baszta quarter of the New Powazki/Powazki Wojskowe.

I will post a few photos of her symbolic tombstone and the grave of her parents at the Old Powazki as well as photos of the Baszta regiment quarter at Powazki Wojskowe.

By the way, I have requested a Mass be said for her at my church at 6 PM CET on the 26th of September 2017. Her father died in 1962 and her mother died in 1977. There’s nobody left.

Click on the images to enlarge.

Family grave
    Sector 301, Old Powazki/Stare Powązki

Kasia's tombstone

The tombstone says:

In Memory
    of
    Kasia Borowińska
    A 21 year old Home Army nurse nickname Magda
    Killed and missing in the Warsaw Uprising
    on the 26th of September 1944

If the Gate to Heaven is wide opened for somebody
    -it is wide opened for those who serve the Motherland

(J.Kochanowski)

This is Kasia

The pink building used to be a telephone exchange station before WW2.
    This is where she got killed.

COY B2 KIA

BASZTA Regiment quarter
    at Powazki Wojskowe

If I forget them, let my right hand forget its skill!
    Kosa

p.s. I re-loded this post as per Tony's request.
    Last edited by kosa; 09-15-2017 at 11:18 AM.

?

Quote by kosa View Post
    Moderator Note:
    (...) It may seem morbid to some, but the old cemeteries in Poland are fascinating places. (...)
    Sure they are. I'm posting two more pictures from my visit to the Old Powazki and the New Powazki.

Myslinski Family grave.
    Old Powązki/Stare Powązki

Ida Myslinska, age 17, was a Home Army nurse during the Warsaw Uprising. She was executed by a German firing squad at Odrowża street in Targówek district, Warsaw on the 24th of August 1944. Her brother Marek was a Home Army soldier too. He died in Warsaw in 2010. Marek is buried in the family grave you can see in this photo. Ida was exhumed in 1945 and buried at Powązki Wojskowe.

Ida's grave.
    Sector A 25, raw 5, grave 29
    Powazki Military Cemetery/Powązki Wojskowe

Odrowąża street, Targówek district, Warsaw.

This memorial commemorates 40 Poles who were executed here by the Germans in 1944.
    Ida was one of them. She wasn't 18 years old.

Regards,
    Kosa
    Last edited by kosa; 09-16-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo

?

Default Father Ignacy Skorupka's grave at Old Powazki, Warsaw / Stare Powązki, Warszawa

Father Ignacy Skorupka was a Polish priest.
    He was Garrison Chaplain of the Polish Army. He died during the battle of Warsaw during the Polish-Soviet War on the 14th of August 1920. Chaplain Skorupka died while leading a charge in the front lines, with a cross in his hands. He became one of the most famous casualties of the battle.

Best,
    Kosa

?

Default Wola monument for Polish military and civilian heroes of the Warsaw Uprising

The Wola slaughter was a systematic killing of appoximately 50 thousand people in the Wola district of Poland's capital city Warsaw by the Germans during the early phase of the Warsaw Uprising.

From the 5th of August to the 12th of August 1944 tens of thousands of Polish civilians along with captured Home Army resistance fighters were brutally murdered by the Germans in organised mass executions throughout Wola. Their bodies were burned.

Regards,
    Kosa

?

Default Powazki Military Cemetery/Powazki Wojskowe again.

Hi everyone,

This time I'm posting a photo of the grave of the legendary 2Lt. Tadeusz Zawadzki "Zośka" at the Powazki Military Cemetery/Powązki Wojskowe in Warsaw.

2Lt. Tadeusz Zawadzki nickname “Zośka” was the commander of the Gray Ranks (Szare Szeregi) Aassault Groups. He was 22 years old when he got killed in action at Sieczychy village on the 20th of August 1943. "Zośka” was awarded the Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari, and the Cross of Valour twice.
    Szare Szeregi was a codename for the underground paramilitary Polish Scouting Association during WW2.

Regards,
    Kosa
    Last edited by kosa; 09-15-2017 at 07:22 PM.

?

Default Old Powazki/Stare Powązki random pictures.

Two more random pictures of the Old Powazki/Stare Powązki to support Mr. Moderator’s observation that the old cemeteries in Poland are fascinating places. Indeed they are, and I believe the photos below will help you feel the spirit of the Old Powązki.

Regards,
    Kosa
    Last edited by kosa; 09-15-2017 at 07:23 PM.

?

Default Powazki Military Cemetery/Powazki Wojskowe.

"ŻYWICIEL" Group (regiment) section
    at the Powazki Military Cemetery/Powazki Wojskowe.

This memorial commemorates about 1200 "Żywiciel" soldiers fallen in the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. Only 495 of them were buried here.

The graves of "Żywiciel" soldiers

P.s. The Group was named after its commander lieutenant-colonel Mieczysław Niedzielski's nickname "Żywiciel".

Regards,
    Kosa
    Last edited by kosa; 09-16-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo

Kosa, thank you for these excellent posts . Posting the history along with the image of the grave marker / memorial is EXACTLY what I was hoping we'd see here. Your posts showing the graves of resistance fighters and their stories is a wonderful tribute to those that paid the ultimate price. Chwała Bohaterom! Cześć ich pamięci!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast