Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2

Article about: Posted below are photographs of a young recruit named Zdzisław Gajewski in battledress. The back of the photo is dated April 18, 1942 along with the note “youngest volunteer – 16 years

Hi Neil, thanks, and you're most welcome. (For the record this refers to post #46). I've overdue in adding some new additions to this thread. Stay tuned.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Welcome Tony.
    I have a passion for war time passports and mainly Polish 2nd Republic, so this is a great specimen.
    Neil

Keith
    ?

Default Windsor 1941

Here's an neat little book I recently came into possession of. It is a book containing the caricatures of various military staff and officers stationed at the Windsor recruiting station.
    The pictures were drawn by Marian Walentynowicz (Inside cover doodle is reminiscent to his children's book illustrations).
    Many of these pages were then signed by the person depicted.
    Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2

Hello Keith and welcome aboard. Thanks so much for sharing this very interesting publication . A fantastic find. First time I am seeing it. How many of these individuals are you able to identify?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi,
    I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this, but there are a couple of nice document groups on the "Polish Mission in Canada" subject on the IPMS site:

http://pism.co.uk/C/C28.pdf

http://polishinstitute.com/a_xii/1_49c.pdf

The only catch is, they're in Polish.

Regards,

Greg

- - ------- - -

Hi,
    I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this, but there are a couple of nice document groups on the "Polish Mission in Canada" subject on the IPMS site:

http://pism.co.uk/C/C28.pdf

http://polishinstitute.com/a_xii/1_49c.pdf

The only catch is, they're in Polish.

Regards,

Greg

Thank you very much. One of the docs has several letters in English. As for the Polish documents, I will have a friend take a look to recap what it says. I have a particular interest in this training camp in Owen Sound, so I've contacted the local newspaper and library for any relevant information. I will share any info I will receive.

Thank you Greg and Ron, I found the name Antoni Tarasek on the roster, and have my fingers crossed that he's my grandfather. He was originally from Buffalo N.Y. And married my grandmother who's from Owen Sound. I'm challenged with converting the text to English, so I appreciate your help. I will continue to dive into these awesome files, great find! Thank you Mike Banks

Mike and Ron, you're welcome. The reason, I know of this place is because I used to know Mr. Edward Borowicz, who had been one of the instructors at the camp in the rank of "aspirant", (officer-cadet, I think). He had fought in Poland in 1939, then in France in 1940, evacuated to GB, spent some time in Canada (Owen Sound), transferred to the 1st Polish Armored Division (anti-tank unit, 8th Infantry Battalion) and finished the war in Germany as a lieutenant. He was also a Virtuti Militari recipient. Afterwards, he moved to the US and lived in Warren, Michigan. He passed away in the 90s.

Regards,

Greg

Hello Fellow Collectors,

I found a few wartime photographs of Lt. Edward Borowicz and figured, it'd be nice to put a face to a name.
    Holland, 1944, 1st Polish Armored Division, 8th Battalion.

Regards,

Greg

Thanks for posting these Greg.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast