Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Polish Para badge: help please guys?

Article about: Does anyone own a original Cichociemni wing? Can you post it please? Thanks

3mk
    ?

Default re: Polish Para badge: help please guys?

Were there any Cichociemni which came from the 1st armoured division?

GFC
    ?

This is one of very the few times I take issue with Mr. Zawadzki.....

I thought that the SILENT AND UNSEEN was a poorly written book that required total concentration to keep interest in the story, however compelling the events might be.....

I thought that this was a result of the translation, but when I compared the translation to the Polish original, I discovered that it was a direct translation of the original poorly-written prose.

On the other hand, the late Dr Jozef Garlinski's "POLAND, SOE AND THE ALLIES" to be a fast-paced and well-written story of the Cichociemni

I fully recommend all of his books - his history of Poland in WW II is the seminal one-volume history in English..... and his other books, mostly about special operations, add much to the history....

Two of his books were more personal - FIGHTING AUSCHWITZ chronicles the internal Polish resistance unit in the camp (of which he was a member) and SURVIVAL OF LOVE - which is a memoir of both what he, and his Irish wife endured in Poland 1939-45

When his wife died, there was a Votum plaque erected Blessed Virgin Mary Cathedral on ul Dluga (the Polish Armed Forces Garrison Church) - this was joined to one dedicated to him in 2006.

I am proud to have in his company on several occasions, and he was indeed, as quoted in the below obituary, "Tall and spare, with a steeliness of character which he retained into old age... "

Jozef Garlinski - Telegraph

Mighty George!

As you are a respected author and eminently knowledgeable in this realm I humbly bow to your technical assessment of the book. My enthusiasm for the book is for the actual content, which, being largely ignorant on this topic, I found to provide fascinating insight into the activities of the Cichociemni. I appreciated how it covered the initial training through to the many adventures on Polish soil. I was actually quite thrilled when I found this book, and very much enjoyed the many exciting accounts that do convey the danger and tenseness of the time. Agreed, some is written rather crudely, and the book has an overall scattered feel to it, but this unvarnished presentation all lends to the credibility of the content – all of which was recorded relatively shortly after the events happened. I maintain that this book is well worth obtaining for the non-Polish speaking members here as there is perilously little English language coverage of this topic. Let’s agree to disagree!

We’re are absolutely on the same page as far as Professor Garlinski. I am a HUGE admirer of this man, recently finishing the book you cite “Survival of Love”. And yes, his Poland in WWII is definitely a must have reference for everyone’s bookshelf. I particularly enjoy watching him in some video footage I have. He speaks with a ‘fire’ and conviction in presenting the facts of the Polish contribution to the Allied victory, and the bitter betrayal that followed. And knowing that he personally lived through some of the worst of what happened in WW2 (many of which are revealed in Survival of Love) gives me all that much more respect for him. Garlinski was a true survivor. I distinctly remember hearing the sad news of his passing several years ago. The loss of a great Pole.

Regards,
    Tony

Attachment 198276Attachment 198277Hi,

Been offered this, really have no idea if genuine or not??

Default Re: Polish Para badge: help please guys?

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Were there any Cichociemni which came from the 1st armoured division?
    Hello,
    I know that one of the members of the 1rst pol arm div was Cichociemni after serving in the 24th Lancers. His name was Boguslawski (not sure to 100% to write it correct). His nickname was "Pancer" as paratrooper in the special operations. He jumped on Poland. He survived. He lived in France, in Paris.
    ZP

Here you have link Zbiory NAC on-line - prototyp to the picture of 24th Lancers regiment (part of 1st Armoured Division) soldiers which were send for Cichociemni (Silent and unseen) training. Second from left is my friend father Kazimierz Bernaczyk-Slonski "Rango". He passed away January 2011. For sure there were more soldiers from Armoured Division which were send to Poland and other countries as Cichociemni. I can try to trace them for you.
    Regards,
    Matt

Here you have link Zbiory NAC on-line - prototyp to the picture of 24th Lancers regiment (part of 1st Armoured Division) soldiers which were send for Cichociemni (Silent and unseen) training. Second from left is my friend father Kazimierz Bernaczyk-Slonski "Rango". He passed away January 2011. For sure there were more soldiers from Armoured Division which were send to Poland and other countries as Cichociemni. I can try to trace them for you. Other pictures of Cichociemni you can find here: Zbiory NAC on-line - prototyp
    Regards,
    Matt

Here is another Para badge I came across recently. What do you think?

Many thanks

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Para badge: help please guys?   Polish Para badge: help please guys?  

Polish Para badge: help please guys?  

?

IMO .... Bad.

Gary J.

Thanks Any thoughts on the rest of the lot?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast