Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish Para Helmet AT MK I/II

Article about: Ivan, I don't think this was a combat over paint, baring in mind that scrim nets seem to have been the order of the day whilst in combat. ... Noticing that most photo's taken at Driel show s

?

Default Re: Polish Para Helmet AT MK I/II

Ivan,
    I don't think this was a combat over paint, baring in mind that scrim nets seem to have been the order of the day whilst in combat.
    ... Noticing that most photo's taken at Driel show scrim nets in use.

The helmets were one item that in theory had to be returned to stores when the final stand down was done.
    If you compare the amount of re-issued "web strap" helmets with wartime dates that you see running through 2, 3, 4 re-issues before finally being written off, ... I believe the same applied to the "Polish" issues.
    At the end of use, they went back into "British" stores for re-issue, and the shortest method of "De-Poling" them was to quickly and crudely over paint the eagle (and flashes if present), .. and then on the shelf they would go, .. ready for the next person.

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    If you compare the amount of re-issued "web strap" helmets with wartime dates that you see running through 2, 3, 4 re-issues before finally being written off, ... I believe the same applied to the "Polish" issues.

Gary J.
    Perhaps, Gary, but my example still has the original first pattern leather chinstrap.

Quote by Mateusz Mroz View Post
    It have quite uncommon yellowish eagle stenciled from under outer layer of sandy paint and post war BMB liner (date rubbed, just size and BMB). O
    Matt,
    Do you have a photo of the liner markings for us to see?
    Thanks.

?

Matt,

Mine also is a earlier pattern leather chinstrap (Stitched type) "BMB 1942".

I quoted the web straps purely just to show that they went into stores and were re-issued ....
    Remembering that when all the helmets were taken back in, it was not uncommon for leather strap type still to be issued, as they were still a viable helmet even though updates were available. .. and of course still an item that the British government could possibly sell on to another nation.

Gary J.
    Last edited by Gary J; 11-28-2009 at 08:22 AM.

?

Date + Manufacturer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Para Helmet AT MK I/II  

3mk
    ?

Nice helmets guys

I don't have picture of the liner. But this is post war BMB liner with rubbed off date (big BMB letters with big size numbers underneath, size is not in a shield as in war time ones).

?

Guys, can you tell me why the geniune para helmets had a non magnetic rim and shell. Am i missing something or just dim. Only i have a genuine para shell and the whole thing is non magnetic

HelmetTrader
    ?

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Matt,
    I just checked a dispatch rider shell, and there are four rivet holes that hold the liner.
    The rivet holes are about half the diameter of the Para helmet screw holes, and are much lower and nearer the rim. (About 15mm to the rivet hole centre from the edge of the rim.)

Also you mentioned unit flashes.
    If there are any unit flashes under the paint on your helmet, ... you should easily be able to see the outline under the over paint.
    The flashes should be between 50mm to 60mm in size, .. and normally either a Square, Circle, or a triangle, depending on which battalion.
    Bare in mind though, that it is not uncommon for there to be no unit flash on the cheap helmet !. Removing paint !
    The overpaint was removed on mine by the previous owner in 1984.
    He got curious as to why there was a green patch of paint on the front of the helmet, and carefully with some wire wool began to rub off the old paint.
    When he saw the eagle he stopped, as he did not want to damage it any further.

Regards

Gary J.
    How can you remove the overpaint without damaging? It seems like since the two paints were bonding to different materials (one bonding to helmet, one bonding to paint), you ought to be able to remove just the top coat. Any idea? Might be a useful technique

A Nd:YAG laser might work? I believe it has been demonstrated to safely remove the type from printed paper...might be expensive though
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast