Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Polish para wing

Article about: I seen a relic dug up wing with no spinner or award document go for 950 Pounds!

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Polish para wing

I seen a relic dug up wing with no spinner or award document go for 950 Pounds!

?

Oooops Guess I should check up my friends medical condition before I tell him this! Is it reasonable to say that he would have gotten at least 1200-1400 for the wing with matching card on the international market?

I had not the faintest idea that these things were fetching prices like this. I have personaly for the most collected german ordnance and uniforms so this is a completely new field for me. But I have grown a bit tired of german stuff and have instead gained interest for norwegian, commonwealth and russian stuff.

?

Hilton,
    Glad to have been of help

A "Norwegian" wing would certainly be more sort after, if not for the simple reason that only 168 were issued.

The last one I saw that sold was approx. 8 years ago via E-bay, and then it fetched around the £400 GBP region. (Image attached - Wing 1640 Private Kaare Stronem)

And as 3MK mentioned, a "Polish" non-combat "ground-dug" item fetched just under £800 GBP around 6 weeks ago.

Regards

Gary J.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

?

Private. Kåre Rodahl .... Wing number 1742.

More than likely, he attended the same parachute training course at Ringway as William Skjorten. (Wing 1744).

Gary J.

Hi,

According to the History of the Parachute Badge, it was given to the following:

Poles: 5758

Americans: 3

Belgians: 4

British: 69

Czechs: 2

French: 244

Dutch: 4

Norwegians: 168

It's amazing to read the cost of producing the ordinary badge back in 1941 it's cost then was 2 shillings and 6d which then rose to 5 Shillings in 1942 and down to 3 Shillings and 1d in 1944. The original cost of the wreath for a combat badge was 9d.

Polish Officers had to pay for theirs, but other ranks and allied personnel received their badges free of charge.

?

Sadly one of the American recepients, James Burnham, (who was best man at Richard Tice's wedding ((KIA Baarskamp Farm - Driel)), passed away just over three weeks ago.

Gary J.

?

Excellent information! Much obliged gentlemen.

Here is a photo of William Skjørten (red ring) and on it also the original owner of the "E-bay wing" ; Mr Kåre Strønen (blue ring) Photo taken after their promotion to Sergeants (probably 1944)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wspict.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	94783  

?

A rare photo Hilton !

Thank you for sharing it, and pointing out the two named Norwegian soldiers.

Regards

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Sadly one of the American recepients, James Burnham, (who was best man at Richard Tice's wedding ((KIA Baarskamp Farm - Driel)), passed away just over three weeks ago.

Gary J.
    Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. I was very sorry to hear of Jim Burnham's passing... it was my Grandfather and Grandmother's wedding that Gary refers to. I know that it meant a great deal to my mother -- Richard's daughter -- to have had the chance to meet the Burnhams.

I welcome
    I bought polish Parachute badge from II WW, on wings has smashed number 367 and TOBIE OJCZYZNO,
    and on the golden wreath number 1867.Nut with the KIRKWOOD&SON inscription and below EDINBURGH.
    Could you help me to establish who was an owner for it. Thank you in advace .
    Tomek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast