Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish parachute badges - request

Article about: Dear Forum Members, I have been collecting Polish airborne insygnia and related items for over 15 years. Several months ago I decided to combine work with pleasure. In the result I am writin

Default Polish parachute badges - request

Dear Forum Members,

I have been collecting Polish airborne insygnia and related items for over 15 years.
    Several months ago I decided to combine work with pleasure. In the result I am writing PhD thesis about Polish Army parachute qualification badges 1941-1989 (at Wroclaw University, officialy since February this year).

In my thesis I started with a brief history of worldwide parachute forces until 1939 as well as history of Polish military parachuting from 1918 to 1989 (from independence to "independence"). I also wrote about first parachute wings prior 1939 - Italian, Soviet, German, French, British, US).

Regarding Polish para badges I will have 2 chapters:
    - pre-1939 LOPP para badges and Polish Army in Exile parachute and glider badges (Znak Spadochronowy and Znak Szybowcowy)
    - Communist Army para badges (Special Bn in Soviet Union and post WW II para/airborne Army formations)

I want to present origins of the badges, manufacturers, variants, awards, recipients, stories related to badges, requirements, ID cards, etc

I did research in the archives in London (Sikorski Institute and PUMST) and in different Polish military archives and museums.

I will be grateful for any help from other collectors, family members, etc. - any support and input will be mentioned in my thesis (with full copyrights).

Especially I am looking for:
    - interesting variants of the badges (like re-strikes, duplicates, private orders, modifications, wings for foreigners, etc)
    - ID cards (different issuing HQs)
    - interesting portrait photos showing wear of badges (also Poles with foreign wings and foreigners with Polish wings)
    - pics showing para badges awarding ceremonies,
    - use of the badge on different documents,
    - etc, etc

I have a plan to finish my efforts by summer 2015. I still have to visit a few archives and museums/collections in Poland.

In future I would also like to publish a book based on my PhD (depending on funds :-)

Dear Forum Members, I am counting on your help!
    Additionally I will ask in person some distinguished collectors here.

With warm greetings
    Rafal

Hello again in my tread!
    After a few years of intensive searches I finished and defended my PhD thesis in area described above!

Now I am working on publication - a kind of monography of Polish Army in Exile parachute and glider badges.

Any support, inputs from your side would be welcomed - especially if you have any interesting insignia, documents and portrait photos related to this subject.

I plan to finish final version by the end of this year and publish it in 2018.

Greetings
    Rafal

Hello Rafal,

Thanks for your post. Great news that you are moving ahead with the book project. I am hopeful that it will be a bilingual Polish/English publication for benefit of the many non-Polish speaking enthusiasts interested in this topic. Either way, it is a book destined for my reference shelf .

Best wishes to you, and hoping that members of this forum will be able to contribute some useful materials.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Tony,

Thank you. I know that many people expect this kind of publication.
    I want to share my knowledge gained during over 18 years of collecting and information got from different archival queries.

I am afraid that first print will be in Polish due to various circumstances but my idea is also to publish it in English in next step.

Now I have approx. 90 % of text and have to improve a part of the pictures so it's mostly ready.

Publication in English version should be translated first :-)

Greetings
    Rafal

?

you could of course print in both languages together?regards col