Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 100 of 148 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1478

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

Quote by kosa View Post
    The source is Monografia Znaku Pułkowego 15 Pułku Ułanow Poznańskich (1944-1947) by Marek Wroński. . .
    Thanks Kosa. I have four or five of the Wroński monographs, but not this one. Agreed, they are very informative publications. I’ll have to track down a copy of this one.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Default Beware of fake Grupa Saperów badge here

Default The 15th Poznan Lancers badge

Quote by kosa View Post
    Hi there,

As a matter of fact, there were 800 badges of the 15th Poznan Lancers made in Egypt in 1943 and 500 in Italy at the end of 1944.

Regards.
    And just like a London bus another one come along. This one has been well loved and well polished by the original owner. And it has the red felt backing.

2ww vintage polish armoured regimental badge of the 15th putk ulanow | eBay
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Regimental Badges WW2  Polish Regimental Badges WW2 

Just for my learning can you tell me how you can tell it is a fake?

Thanks Kosa. Yes, this appears to be one of the group of fake 2nd Corps badges that first appeared on the market about seven years ago, most of which replicated the various collar unit badges. These fakes can be very difficult to discern from digital pictures alone, especially as the badges have been reproduced to appear die stamped.

For James’ benefit, the best thing of course it to try to get familiar with known genuine badges, which we all know is often easier said than done. In any event the one thing to watch for with these are iridescent copper / gold coloured deposits in the recessed areas, both obverse and reverse. Also, the surface often has a slightly ‘sandy’ texture in areas. You can see both of these present with this badge that you will not find with genuine badges. Also, in a side by side comparison to an original these fakes are typically slightly smaller. Otherwise there are differences in the threaded post (diameter, thread pitch, etc) and in the finer details where sharpness is lost.

I’m posting the other auction pics to preserve them here as the auction link will eventually die.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Polish Regimental Badges WW2  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    Just for my learning can you tell me how you can tell it is a fake?
    Hi James,

Genuine Grupa Saperów badges were made of pinchback. Pinchbeck is a form of brass, an alloy of copper and zinc. It is more reddish in color than brass. Original badges were silver plated and they always show some wear around the edges. See the photo below. I hope this helps.

Cheers

?

Default Another genuine Grupa Saperów badge

This one shows a lot of wear. Fakes are made of white metal. They don't show wear but deposits which may look like oxidation.

?

Default A close-up picture

Silver plate is very thin. Handling, storage, and polishing in particular always cause the silver to wear off.

Thanks everyone that has definitely answered my questions. I will now go and have a close look at mine.
    James

For a military badge that Grupa Saperów badge has an unique look. The 'B' flick 'Killdozer' came to mind.

Page 100 of 148 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast