Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 107 of 148 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1478

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

The four known sizes (at least to me) of the 2nd Corps Commemorative Badge. Sizes are rounded to the nearest decimal. Of course, the largest sized badge is the official issue. The others are miniatures produced for use for non-uniform wear.

The badge was formally accepted on Sept. 24, 1946. Stamped in both tombac and silver, the badge was produced by Italian maker Soc. Italiana Per L’Arte Medaglia, Rome (Via Dei Volsci, 114).

Some badges have the letter “H” at the bottom left edge denoting the first letter of the designers surname, brothers Zygmunt and Leopold Haar. I’ve noticed that some badges also have traces of a letter “G” on the opposite side, which I haven’t got the foggiest as to what it represents. And strangely some badges omit the letters altogether. Any and all input gratefully accepted!

Regarding the mysterious letter “G”, I have the “positive” die (from which the actual stamping die is produced) for this badge, bearing both the “H” and the “G”. Stay tuned for pictures.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

We enjoyed some sunshine today, so along with dismantling of the Christmas decorations on the house I snuck in some picture taking. The sun here at this time of year is low on the horizon which allowed for ‘shadow shots’ that accent details. Further to my prior post, this is the “positive” die from which the die for stamping is produced. You can clearly see the letter “G” opposite the “H”.

Attachment 623732

Not all of the 2nd Corps badges I have examined have visible letters, but many do, and in most cases difficult to discern. I’m not at all knowledgeable about machine stamping, so I can only attribute this lack of definition due to their small size and that they located on an edge surface situated on an angle. Die wear along with badge wear may also be factors.

Unfortunately, I was unable to capture a good picture showing the “G” on this badge. Although it is definitely there. I'll try again to take some better pics. I encourage you to check the badges in your collection. A 10X magnifying loupe is sufficient.

As far as I am aware of this remains an entirely unexplored topic. Considering the significance of this commemorative badge to the Polish 2nd Corps it begs for more research and study. Perhaps with the collective efforts of our knowledgeable members we can spearhead something on this forum.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Default word change: "thread" to "post"

For some reason this picture wil not load properly, so trying again in a separate post:

Cheers,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 01-08-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Hello!

Very interesting reasearch! I looked at my badges with H. marked and i didn't saw there letter G., but on the photos below you can see specific sign in place where letter G should be.

Best Regards
    Michal

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your post. Not all of these have discernable letters, and as mentioned previously it may be a function of the letter’s small size possibly coupled with being located on an angled edge surface and also die wear and badge wear.

With some effort I was able to take this photo clearly showing the “G”. The “H” on the opposite side is also similarly weakly impressed.

Regards,
    Tony

last weekend secured these badges. other items will have to wait until the bank takes delivery of more money !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Attached Images Attached Images Polish Regimental Badges WW2 

P.Z., congrats Very impressive new additions! The enameled 10PSK remains perpetually stuck on my long term want list. And just like W.C. Fields in your picture, I’ll be sparking up a premium stogie if and when I ever land one.

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    P.Z., congrats Very impressive new additions! The enameled 10PSK remains perpetually stuck on my long term want list.
    Hello,
    The same thing for me !
    Great, really !
    ZP

obviously I told the little lady they cost a pittance ! not withstanding , lucky to have had the opportunity to buy them
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Regimental Badges WW2 

bought with others this second corps mermaid. one edge has a quite clear ' H ' whilst the opposite edge has vestiges of the other letter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2