MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 148 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

Default Re: Polish Regimetal Badges WW2

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    Here’s mine badge, Im not sure if it is original, or replacement to where by veteran after war. It looks old, but it has like gasoline spilled on the water shine on the black email.
    Mariusz
    Hi Mariusz, great photos

All 'Skorpion' regimental badges were issued after the war starting from badge no. 1 issued on 15 May 1946 to płk Ignacy Kowalczewski and ending in badge no.845 awarded to plut. Viktor Dłutek. A further set was awarded January 1947 numbered 1/ to 126/ (no.114 belonged to my late father) there were also a few others awarded during this time but no more than 6 to 8.

It is hard to say if your badge is genuine, the spinner is probably not, but the photo shows signs of a larger spinner mark on the 'Cassino Cross' bars. This would be correct. The curve to the badge looks right. Later reproductions had a much less pronnouced curve to the bagde. Not all are numbered. The coloured stains are probably from the enamelling proccess rather than anything else I have seen this before on the black enamel of 'Skorpion' badges.

There were several 'Skorpion' breast badge and collar pennon variants made by different jewellers. Early Italian made had gold coloured skorpion and later English versions silver metal. I do have several of these breast badges, beret skorpion badges, collar pennon sets and documents so will try and photograph some of them over Christmas.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Hi Mariusz, great photos

All 'Skorpion' regimental badges were issued after the war starting from badge no. 1 issued on 15 May 1946 to płk Ignacy Kowalczewski and ending in badge no.845 awarded to plut. Viktor Dłutek. A further set was awarded January 1947 numbered 1/ to 126/ (no.114 belonged to my late father) there were also a few others awarded during this time but no more than 6 to 8.

It is hard to say if your badge is genuine, the spinner is probably not, but the photo shows signs of a larger spinner mark on the 'Cassino Cross' bars. This would be correct. The curve to the badge looks right. Later reproductions had a much less pronnouced curve to the bagde. Not all are numbered. The coloured stains are probably from the enamelling proccess rather than anything else I have seen this before on the black enamel of 'Skorpion' badges.

There were several 'Skorpion' breast badge and collar pennon variants made by different jewellers. Early Italian made had gold coloured skorpion and later English versions silver metal. I do have several of these breast badges, beret skorpion badges, collar pennon sets and documents so will try and photograph some of them over Christmas.
    Hi !

Agreed !! A number of Polish exile badges were designed, authorized, and manufactured after the war. These were probably worn by the soldiers in the Polish Resettlement Corp in England.

I have several "skorpion" badges...a single badge very similar to Mariusz's example and another numbered version that is in a grouping. Coincidentally, the single version is un-numbered and has a smaller spinner that was not original to the badge just like Mariusz's...I wonder !?!

In addition I have several collar pennons as well. If memory serves me correctly, they are the Italian-made version.

Vic

I know that the badge was warn by veteran, I ve ask my aunt if she had any old books, newspapers, so she has got 2 veterans magazines from1955 (CZWARTAK PANCERNY) for me from her friend and with 2 CZWARTAK PANCERNY came the badge.
    Mariusz

Tony

The badge of the 12th Heavy Artillery Regiment (12 Pułk Artylerii Ciężkej) is great - I have been hunting for it for a few years now.

Exceelent post !

Quote by vicjoy1945 View Post
    Hi !
    These were probably worn by the soldiers in the Polish Resettlement Corp in England.Vic
    I believe the Polish resettlement corps were not allowed to wear Polish regimental insignia as the British government did not want it to be seen a quasi-military force so that the Polish Communist regime could not argue it was a 'mercenary' army in all but name.

Quote by vicjoy1945 View Post
    I have several "skorpion" badges...a single badge very similar to Mariusz's example and another numbered version that is in a grouping. Coincidentally, the single version is un-numbered and has a smaller spinner that was not original to the badge just like Mariusz's...I wonder !?!
    Many modern 'Skorpion' breast badges on sale are from the 5 Brygada Pancerna "Skorpion" who were headquartered at Opole. 5 "Skorpion' took over the traditions of the original 4 Pułk Pancerny "Skorpion" after the fall of communism. 5 Brygada Pancerna "Skorpion" badges are I believe from maker Grawer Andrzej Panasiuk, Warsaw.

Here is 5 Brygada Pancerna "Skorpion" beret from my collection and a photo of two views of 4th "Skorpion" Sherman from Italy 1946 at the regiments last HQ in Potenza Picena.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    I believe the Polish resettlement corps were not allowed to wear Polish regimental insignia as the British government did not want it to be seen a quasi-military force so that the Polish Communist regime could not argue it was a 'mercenary' army in all but name.
    Interesting ! I hadn't heard that fact. I have pictures of my father that I assume were taken in England during his time with the Polish Resettlement Corp after the war and he is wearing his 3rd DSK badge. However, I could be wrong about the time period of the photos.

Are the current "Skorpion" badges mutli-piece construction !?! Do the new badges attach the scorpion via rivets and, if so, how many rivets !?! I was under the impression that today's Polish regiments that adopted the WWII badges usually added there own current "flair" to the actual badge re-design.

Vic

?

The Scorpion badge is one of my favorites when it comes to insignia used by formations in PSZ/z. I thought that there was only one recognized maker of this badge?! A while ago I read two very intriguing volumes about this unit written by Marek Wronski. Just for fun I have attached photos of some "Skorpion" stuff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

?

The 4th Wolynska Infantry Brigade badge and invitation for celebrating the units anniversary in Milano. Its very likely the badge was presented to the troops at that event. Its interesting that the invitation was translated to Italian.

Maker: F.M. Lorioli Fratelli – Milano/Roma

Quote by 3 DSK View Post
    The 4th Wolynska Infantry Brigade badge and invitation for celebrating the units anniversary in Milano. . . .
    Nice one 3DSK! Easily one of my favorite badges. Beautifully designed and made with fine Italian craftsmanship.

And congratulations on winning that book on Allegro. I had my eye on it but slept through the auction . . .

Regards,
    T.

Hello! 3DSK " think that yours 4th Skorpion beret badge is replica. Original described in Marek Wronski book are differents.

Very nice 4Wolynska Brygada badge! Regards

Page 25 of 148 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 125 ... LastLast