Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 29 of 148 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

?

Default Re: Polish Regimetal Badges WW2

1 Pułk Rozpoznawczy - 1st Recon. Regiment, officers version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Cool stuff
    i have seen a few version of this badge. You seem to have nice one too.
    A

Quote by 3 DSK View Post

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    I have seen your picture of of the Shield with the Lion for Narvik too.
    Can You please post front and back and provide description of material / dimensions etc,

Really i have never seen this shield in private collection only in Sirorski's Museum in London
    Hi wadowicznic,

Sorry, but as mentioned in the post along with the picture of the Lion Of Norway badge, I do not own it.

As far as info on the badge, the most detailed description (consisting primarily of the history) is contained in the Jan Partyka reference: Odznaki i oznaki PSZ na zachodzie 1939-1946. Wojska Lądowe. Rzeszów 1997 - excerpted below.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

?

Quote by 3 DSK View Post

great badge!

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Gentlemen,

Has anybody got the badge and / or the lion of the 6 Tank Regiment (Dzieci Lwowskie) – famous for the Piedmonte Battle (5 days) – small down between Monte Casiono and Rome?
    Here you go wadowicznic, today's new arrival . . .

40 x 40mm. Unique design by Lt. F. Haluszczak using Sherman tank tracks to form the cross, with the ancient Lion of Lwow in the center. These badges were supposedly produced by J.R. Gaunt & Son.

Regards,
    Tony

Thanks Tony, for posting your 6 Tank Regiment (Dzieci Lwowskie) new arrival... it is a neat design

But I am surprised that the quality of the badge is not so crisp and sharply detailed being from such a well respected maker such as Gaunt?

I am also sure Haluszczak's design was heavily 'influenced' by the Sherman tank track cross on the 4th Armoured Regiment "Skorpion" monument at Cassino

Brgds, Stefan

Hi Stefan,

According to Sikorski Institute literature assembled by Krzysztof Barbarski, the badge maker is J.R. Gaunt & Sons, Birmingham (not London). By virtue of the source I would be inclined to accept it reliable. This is a die stamped badge and unquestionably genuine. Overall the quality seems very consistent with other badges of the era, including other Gaunt products in my collection. As far as the lack of crisp detail, one could argue that the tank tracks that form the cross do accurately replicate the look of those found on a real Sherman - that is to say crude but functional, not finely machined. And in contrast, the separately applied enameled center shield is actually crafted with some finesse.

I definitely agree that the badge design does appear to borrow some cues from the 4th Armoured Regiment memorial. I would love to visit this site one of these days.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Hi Tony,
    I was not suggesting the badge is in anyway not a genuine one—I claim no expertise with which to make that judgement— just that this time the quality from Gaunt is disappointingly not great given the reputation of the maker and quality of other Gaunt PAF badges I have seen.

Sadly the 'Skorpions' that adorned the 4th Armoured Regiment memorial monument have long since 'disappeared' along with the blown of turret

Stefan, apologies if I sounded defensive. It was unintentional, and wanted only to make some general comments. Although we all know how us collectors get when picking up a whiff questioning authenticity . . .

Cheers,
    T.

Lion of Narvik...

Ze-Pole

Page 29 of 148 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 129 ... LastLast