Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 96 of 148 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 146 ... LastLast

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

Default Re: Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Quote by civil View Post
    . . . This is a copy from PISM archive provided that 2nd Warsaw Signals Battalion collar badge was approved by 2nd Polish Corps Headquarter. Why it was never produced ?
    Hi Chris,

The badge pictured might actually be a Lorioli made prototype, rather than a copy per se. Stefan comments on the quality, which I agree appears quite good. As an aside, the actual production badges seem to all have been marked “ALP” to identify the alpacca (white metal alloy) composition.

As to why this one was never formally produced, I don’t know for certain. But the story may be similar to that of the 65th Pomorski Baon Piechoty. My father served in the 65th and was given the award card in Italy entitling him to wear the badge. But before badges were produced his infantry battalion was shipped to England in late summer 1946. He told me that he recalled there being talk of having the badge made in the UK, but the unit was disbanded shortly after arrival, and with it the plans for badge production.

Quote by civil View Post
    PS. Could you point out (show?) badges made by Białkiewicz - designed and rejected by proper authorities.
    I have the two design concepts for the 2nd Artillery Group badge that I will take pictures of and post later.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Super Picture
    From the Friend in Poland
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Hi Chris,

Pics as promised showing the two “przypuszczalne projekty" of the 2nd Artillery Group (2nd Corps) badges along with the well known issue badge. I think you’ll agree that the two design concepts have some merit in their own right.

I am assuming these were Bialkiewicz made badges by virtue of the similarity of their construction to his products. They were both purchased together some years back in a lot of badges along with a rare 2nd Corps 11th Heavy Artillery Badge. I have no clue how they ended up together, and these two remain the only such representations I have seen.

Cheers,
    Tony

PS text / image excerpt from PISM publication Bron i Barwa - Zeszyt Specjalny No.1 (K. Barbarski 1985)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

4PP "Skorpion" breast badge a recent Allegro auction

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Great and unusual looking 'Skorpion' badge.

Badge 391 was issued to kapr pchr. Wladyslaw Tomaszewski from No. 3 Squadron

Chris........

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    Badge 391 was issued to kapr pchr. Wladyslaw Tomaszewski from No. 3 Squadron

Chris........
    Hi Chris,

I am not sure how many recipients were actually awarded the badge number allocated in the original 4PP typescript of names and award numbers...I say this because I have a complete set of 4PP tanker's service documents, medals, 4PP insignia including his original numbered breast badge which does not match the regimental awards list. So I don't know how many of the Skorpion breast badges were given out incorrectly during the award ceremony? Maybe just one or two or maybe many?

A mint looking example, though always a pity the badges so often get separated from the award documents. I guess the badges are more enduring than the documents.

Cheers,

Stefan

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    ...I say this because I have a complete set of 4PP tanker's service documents, medals, 4PP insignia including his original numbered breast badge which does not match the regimental awards list. So I don't know how many of the Skorpion breast badges were given out incorrectly during the award ceremony? Maybe just one or two or maybe many? . . .
    I’d like to learn more about the non-serial numbered version of this badge. They seem to exist in numbers proportionate to the serial numbered version. Pure speculation, but could it be that at some point it was discovered that the numbering scheme had gone awry and they scrapped the idea of serial numbering - ?? Off the cuff I can’t recall another serial numbered PSZ badge with non-numbered versions existing in any appreciable quantity.

Regards,
    Tony

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I’d like to learn more about the non-serial numbered version of this badge. They seem to exist in numbers proportionate to the serial numbered version. Pure speculation, but could it be that at some point it was discovered that the numbering scheme had gone awry and they scrapped the idea of serial numbering - ?? Off the cuff I can’t recall another serial numbered PSZ badge with non-numbered versions existing in any appreciable quantity.

Regards,
    Tony
    I think it might have been the badges issued in 1947 as the number list is repeated in the regimental awards listing. I believe the second awards batch might have been for those enlisted after hostilities ended but were entitled to the badge through serving with the regiment for the qualifying period. I don't have access to my 4PP reference books at the moment as they are packed in storage.

There appear to be both earlier version brass Skorpion emblem and later silver metal Skorpion unnumbered badges.

Thanks Stefan. So to understand correctly, with the ‘number list being repeated in 1947’ I take it you mean that new issues were recorded on a list that would have been numbered in the usual manner, and this was the only numbering used as of course the badges themselves were not numbered. With the large influx of new soldiers into the 2nd Corps in the immediate post war months there’s hardly room for another digit to fit in the place allotted for numbering. I suppose they could have moved the numbering to the horizontal cross arms then . . .

Thanks also for touching on the matter of the brass and white metal scorpion variants, and that one is of earlier production than the other. Good info! - it’s a question I’ve pondered in the past. The example in my collection is the brass un-numbered version.

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 96 of 148 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 146 ... LastLast