Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Polish sights in my region

Article about: Hi guys; Last sunday i visit a couple of places were are sights to the Polish forces in ww2, i would share this with you all; and would upgrade this thread regularly; when i visit other sigh

Congratulations on a series of fine photographs, I hope that you do not mind me posting some photographs of Wacław Łapkowski,

Name:  lapkowski pre 1939 photo whilst a Ppor.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  39.5 KB

Ppor Wacław Łapkowski pre 1939 photograph.

Name:  1940 Laguna Krasnodebski Lapkowski Zyborski Jankiewicz.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  78.7 KB

1940 Laguna, Krasnodebski, Wacław Łapkowski, Zyborski, Jankiewicz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wacław Łapkowski.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	992762

Wacław Łapkowski

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	major pil Wacław Łapkowski grave.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	992763

Major pil Wacław Łapkowski grave

Best wishes

Thank you so much to add this information Andrzej !
    Do you know maybe more about this major? If this is positive; feel free to share it in this post!

Hello Pieter,

Apologies for the delay in replying my father-in-law died and was buried on Tuesday, but anyway you asked if I could provide any more information on Major pil P1506 Wacław Łapkowski.

Wacław Łapkowski was born on the 6th November 1913 in Dyneburg what is nowdays Daugavpils in Latvia, he graduated from the 2nd Cadet Corps.

He was commissioned on the 15th August 1934 as an Observer and posted to 212 Bomber Eskadra of the 1st Air Regiment, after serving for a year he was posted to the Air Force Officers training centre at Deblin for pilot training which he past.

In April 1936 he was posted to the Advanced Fighter Training Centre at Grudziadz, after he completed the course in July 1936 he was posted to 112 Eskadra as a Fighter Pilot.

The outbreak of the 2nd World War on Friday 1st September 1939 prevented Wacław Łapkowski from commencing his 2 years of study at the Polish War College in Warsaw, which would have been the 20th Class (1939-1941).

During the September Campaign he flew with the Pursuit Brigade above Warsaw and on the 17th September after the Russian invasion, he was ordered to fly his P11c Fighter to Romania.

After landing at Cernauti in Romania he made his way to France and after the fall of France in 1940 he made his way to the UK, after conversion training he was posted to 303 Squadron in August 1940. On the 5th September 1940 in a dog fight he was shot down by a german fighter, wounded he baled out and took no further part in the Battle of Britain.

He was released from Hospital and returned to 303 in January 1941, by February he had been promoted to 'B'Flight commander and after the death of Squadron Leader Zdzislaw Henneberg he was made Commanding Officer of 303 Squadron on the 13th April 1941.

On the 2nd July 1941 he led the Squadron on Circus 29 flying in Supermarine Spitfire IIB P8596 RF-V, he was shot down over the Channel, his body was washed ashore in occupied Belgium and he was buried at Lombardsijde Cemetery in grave 224.

Squadron Leader Wacław Łapkowski was awarded the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Numbered 8819 and the Cross of Valour with 3 Bars, he had 6 confirmed Kills with 1 shared and 1 Damaged.

I hope that the above information is of interest to you Pieter.

Best wishes

Andrzej, first of all my condolences and respect at the loss of your father in law.

thank you very much for this very complete and super interesting information on Major Wacław Łapkowski!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123