Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Polish sights in my region

Article about: Hi guys; Last sunday i visit a couple of places were are sights to the Polish forces in ww2, i would share this with you all; and would upgrade this thread regularly; when i visit other sigh

Pieter,

Congratulations on a series of fine photographs, I hope that you do not mind me posting some photographs of Wacław Łapkowski,

Ppor Wacław Łapkowski pre 1939 photograph.

1940 Laguna, Krasnodebski, Wacław Łapkowski, Zyborski, Jankiewicz

Wacław Łapkowski

Major pil Wacław Łapkowski grave

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you so much to add this information Andrzej !
    Do you know maybe more about this major? If this is positive; feel free to share it in this post!

Hello Pieter,

Apologies for the delay in replying my father-in-law died and was buried on Tuesday, but anyway you asked if I could provide any more information on Major pil P1506 Wacław Łapkowski.

Wacław Łapkowski was born on the 6th November 1913 in Dyneburg what is nowdays Daugavpils in Latvia, he graduated from the 2nd Cadet Corps.

He was commissioned on the 15th August 1934 as an Observer and posted to 212 Bomber Eskadra of the 1st Air Regiment, after serving for a year he was posted to the Air Force Officers training centre at Deblin for pilot training which he past.

In April 1936 he was posted to the Advanced Fighter Training Centre at Grudziadz, after he completed the course in July 1936 he was posted to 112 Eskadra as a Fighter Pilot.

The outbreak of the 2nd World War on Friday 1st September 1939 prevented Wacław Łapkowski from commencing his 2 years of study at the Polish War College in Warsaw, which would have been the 20th Class (1939-1941).

During the September Campaign he flew with the Pursuit Brigade above Warsaw and on the 17th September after the Russian invasion, he was ordered to fly his P11c Fighter to Romania.

After landing at Cernauti in Romania he made his way to France and after the fall of France in 1940 he made his way to the UK, after conversion training he was posted to 303 Squadron in August 1940. On the 5th September 1940 in a dog fight he was shot down by a german fighter, wounded he baled out and took no further part in the Battle of Britain.

He was released from Hospital and returned to 303 in January 1941, by February he had been promoted to 'B'Flight commander and after the death of Squadron Leader Zdzislaw Henneberg he was made Commanding Officer of 303 Squadron on the 13th April 1941.

On the 2nd July 1941 he led the Squadron on Circus 29 flying in Supermarine Spitfire IIB P8596 RF-V, he was shot down over the Channel, his body was washed ashore in occupied Belgium and he was buried at Lombardsijde Cemetery in grave 224.

Squadron Leader Wacław Łapkowski was awarded the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Numbered 8819 and the Cross of Valour with 3 Bars, he had 6 confirmed Kills with 1 shared and 1 Damaged.

I hope that the above information is of interest to you Pieter.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Andrzej, first of all my condolences and respect at the loss of your father in law.

thank you very much for this very complete and super interesting information on Major Wacław Łapkowski!

On the evening of 10th November i was in Passchendaele (Passendale), for the commemoration of the battle for it 99 years ago (and to show my respect for the Canadian victims).

I take a photograph of a plaque that is on the town hall of the city, to remember the passage and liberation off course of the 1st AD.
    It was placed to the wall 10 months after the liberation- on 1 july 1945.

For one or another reason i can not place this photograph straight and it is viewed on the wrong angle..

On September 7th, advance the troops of the 10th regiment (1st armoured division), towards Roulers (Roeselare) on two routes;

the first route is over the city's Sint-Jan and Westrozebeke towards Hooglede;
    the second route is via the potyze over the Frezenberg heading Zonnebeke and Passendale, and ten on that route to Roeselare...

During this operation there where unfortunality men killed in action,...

3 of them where first buried in Oostnieuwkerke, later re-buried on the Polish cemetery in Lommel.

The first picture shows the death memorial to the men, the other two photographs shows the memorial plaque that is attached to a side wall of the church to still remember this brave men who gave their lives...
    (Again, i can not help the fact that the pictures are viewed on the wrong side.. Apologize)

Attachment 1017033

From Oostnieuwkerke to Hooglede; their are again a couple victims;

Some are remembered on the war memorial of the city and some have a remember plaque on the spot where they were killed..

The first two victims that been kia, are the closest to a junction point that runs straight from the city Oostnieuwkerke to Hooglede; if you look to the line of victims on this road must this line, be the road that was taken on September 7th 1944.

The picture to the junction is to Oostniewkerke; Hooglede lays behind me in a straight line..

Both men are from the 2nd armored regiment;
    both they where in a tank when this was attacked by a German rearguard infantry unit;
    A German jumped on the driving tank en trough the hatch that was open, he throws a grenade inside that both men fatally struck.
    (note; These two men are mentioned on the death memorial)

The second remember plaque that i found is to Jan Wibart;

2nd picture shows again a view to the junction but far away, again Hooglede is on my back..

Jan was a member of the 10th armoured regiment, scouts- 2nd squadron;
    he was a tankgunner/radio operator. His tank was hit by a anti-tank grenade;
    when he would climb out of his tank, he was deadly hit in his belly..

The last victim that i found for now is the closest to the city of Hooglede.

On this crossroad was Szymon hit by an anti-tankgrenade;
    he was instantly dead and his body burned in the tank..
    On the first death memorial card, is he placed as unknown soldier; when later they know that the body was from Szymon; there were made new cards.

Last pictures are of the war memorial in Hooglede.

Attachment 1017043
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish sights in my region   Polish sights in my region  

Polish sights in my region   Polish sights in my region  

Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 11-12-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: rotate photos

Hello Pieter,

I sincerely hope that you do not mind me straightening one of your photos,

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,

not at all . In this way it is correct and more respectfull!!

Thank you kindly!!
    Regards;
    Pieter.

Hi Pieter, thanks for your post . I've tried to rotate your photos in post # 26 but they seem to have a mind of their own and refuse to cooperate. So am reposting here.

Also, a translation of the plaque in the prior post:

" In remembrance of a day in September 1944, in which the First Polish Armoured Division entered Passchendaele to fight for your freedom and ours "

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish sights in my region   Polish sights in my region  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Pieter Thanks for posting Very Nice Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast