Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish speakers/ camp prisoner search.

Article about: Hey, I have a Krzyż Oświęcimski (Auschwitz Cross) medal. It came with with the ID card below. Does anyone translated it part by pat so I can understand it? The writing on the

Default Polish speakers/ camp prisoner search.

Hey,

I have a Krzyż Oświęcimski (Auschwitz Cross) medal. It came with with the ID card below. Does anyone translated it part by pat so I can understand it?
    The writing on the top right page is UCHWAŁA RADY PAŃSTWA.
    The writing on the top left page is POLSKA RZECZPOSPOLITA LUDOWA.
    The date ate the bottom is 1989

Also where would be the best place to search for this person? Is where an online database for Polish camp prisoners?

Any info is great

Tzipi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish speakers/ camp prisoner search.  

Default Re: Polish speakers/ camp prisoner search.

It is basically issue document for the Auschwitz Cross by the People's Rep. of Poland.

Quote by SailorTzipi View Post
    The writing on the top right page is UCHWAŁA RADY PAŃSTWA.
    By order of the Council of State

The writing on the top left page is POLSKA RZECZPOSPOLITA LUDOWA.
    Is "The People's Republic of Poland" which was the official name of Poland from 1952 to 1989. From 1944 to 1952 Rzeczpospolita Polska was the name of the Polish state.

Also where would be the best place to search for this person? Is where an online database for Polish camp prisoners?
    Unfortunately there is no single repository or database of Polish prisoners...there were just to many camps and to many prisoners for such an undertaking, added to which many camp records were either destroyed or partially destroyed by the retreating Germans'. Some camp records were also "captured" by the Soviets and although many of these have since been made available to the various camp museum archives many have still not been released by the Russian archives.

As the Krzyż Oświęcim was awarded to former "political" prisoners of any KL not just Auschwitz identifying the particular camp and archive will be pot luck I'm afraid. If you really do want to find out something more about the recipient then a letter or email to each of the major KL museum archives will be your only recourse.

Any chance of posting close-up photos of the cross -- front and back?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Anyone know if a similar medal was ever instituted for Polish "political" prisoners in Soviet concentration camps?

Below is a photo of former Polish Armia Krajowa soldiers just released from a Soviet camp in 1955!

Last edited by StefanM; 07-10-2013 at 10:49 AM.

What's the number on the left: 22-89-84
    And what does POCZATEK?

Thanks for the info 4th. It could be kinda fun to write away and try to find him!
    Pictures I can put up later today

Hi Tzipi,

In answer to your question and what does Poczatek ?, the Cross was awarded to Aleksander Poczatek the Son of Franciszek Poczatek, I hope that this is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

What's the number on the left: 22-89-84
    It is the reference number to the official Polish government directive/document granting the award to the recipient by the relevant Polish Minister or political head of department.

Look forward to seeing the photos later

There is no reference to the family name POCZATEK in the Auschwitz Museum database ...one less letter to write
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-10-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Hi Tzipi,

In answer to your question and what does Poczatek ?, the Cross was awarded to Aleksander Poczatek the Son of Franciszek Poczatek, I hope that this is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku
    It does! I've been searching Aleksander s. Francszika thinking that was his name! Many many thanks!

It is the reference number to the official Polish government directive/document granting the award to the recipient by the relevant Polish Minister or political head of department.

Look forward to seeing the photos later

There is no reference to the family name POCZATEK in the Auschwitz Museum database ...one less letter to write
    I might see if there is someone I can contract in Poland where they might have a record of the reference number.

Pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish speakers/ camp prisoner search.   Polish speakers/ camp prisoner search.  

The 1955 picture of AK soldiers released is from Workuta camp. If my memory is correct of of my favorite CC "Kra" major Waclaw Kopisto was a guest there for some time.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Anyone know if a similar medal was ever instituted for Polish "political" prisoners in Soviet concentration camps?

Below is a photo of former Polish Armia Krajowa soldiers just released from a Soviet camp in 1955!

This is the medal for the deportees - http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzyż_Zesłańców_Sybiru

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast