Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polish W.A.A.F.

Article about: Good morning everybody. Actually, I am busy with a greeting card in wich is represented a Polish W.A.A.F. in greatcoat. I need some more information about the badges worn by a Polish Corpora

Default Polish W.A.A.F.

Good morning everybody.

Actually, I am busy with a greeting card in wich is represented a Polish W.A.A.F. in greatcoat. I need some more information about the badges worn by a Polish Corporal ( Wireless Operator ) in 1942 :

• What type of shoulder titles ( straight or curved, black and white or blue/gray )?
    • What type of cap badge?
    • Shoulder albatross ( " eagle " is a mistake ) or not?
    • Wireless Operator badge or not?
    • Corporal chevrons or not?
    • P.A.F. collar rank badges on greatcoat or not?

I am very grateful for your help.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Polish Women in the RAF wore standard WAAF uniforms however with silver (army type) eagles as cap badges, curved titles(light blue) above the albatross patches. Rank insygnia was standard RAF/WAAF sleeve stripes. I can't seem to find photos of them wearing the Polish rank on the collars, I will check some books out to see if they were worn.
    For a Wireless Operator she would wear the standard RAF Wireless Operator badge.
    For some ref. photos check this link out:

Pomocnicza Lotnicza Służba Kobiet

Hello cichociemny,

Thank you so much for all the details!!!!!!! Concerning the silver eagle cap badge ( Army Type ), the one shown on the picture is correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bialkiewicz Eagle PSZnZ.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	616049

Thanks a lot for you help!

Enjoy the Christmas Eve.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Hi Mehdi

Yes this eagle would be correct for a Polish WAAF. I don't have a scanner however there is a good close up of a Polish WAAF in the 'Polish Forces in the West' militaria book by Wojciechowski and Sawicki on page 484. Maybe someone with a scanner could post it up?

For a great shot of a Polish WAAF officer visit this:

Roma Wal

Quote by cichociemny View Post
    . . . there is a good close up of a Polish WAAF in the 'Polish Forces in the West' militaria book by Wojciechowski and Sawicki on page 484. Maybe someone with a scanner could post it up?

Name:	MC 002.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	617651

" RAF air units membership badge "

Name:	MC 004.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	617650

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Dear Nick and Tony,

Thank you for your help!!!! Now I know very clearly what I will do.

Thanks again.

Merry Christmas.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Mehdi, you're most welcome. When complete, please post your finished project here.

And for the record, here are some of the pertinent pics from the site Nick linked.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSK6.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	618458  
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Dear Nick and Tony,

Here is the greeting card in progress :

Name:	DSC00001.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	620616

I wish to both of you a Happy New Year's Eve... and of course, a Happy New Year as well!

Enjoy yourselves.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Mehdi, very impressive work! It evokes a warm atmosphere of camaraderie and the joy of the Christmas season I’ve seen in period photographs, in spite of the hardships and fears so many endured then. You are a talented artist. Well done! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best wishes to you as well for the New Year. Cheers!
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 01-02-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: another typo

Hello Tony,

Thank you very much for your kind words. Just one thing : you made a mistake in typing my first name. It's M - E - H - D - I. The h is always placed before the d...

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast