Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polsih Pin: Identification Help

Article about: This is a pin I found in my late father's collection of WW2 items. He was a first generation Polish-American in the American army. I found it pinned to Swiss hotel card where he was on leave

cizewski
    ?

Default Polsih Pin: Identification Help

This is a pin I found in my late father's collection of WW2 items. He was a first generation Polish-American in the American army. I found it pinned to Swiss hotel card where he was on leave. Could he have done a pin trade with a Polish soldier whom he met in Switzerland? My father was fluent in Polish.

I am posting on the Western Allies thread as I am assuming that it is from a Polish organization in the west. It is unlikely that my father would have had contact with Poles in the Soviet army. If it was an item from the Polish Communists wouldn't it more likely have a hammer and sickle or a star rather than a cross?

Let me know if there is a more specific thread on which to post it.

Thanks.

Leonard H Cizewski
    Son of the late Felix A Cizewski
    Co. C, 3110th Signal Service Battalion and 45th Signal Company, 45th Infantry Division
    Europe, WW2
    Attached Images Attached Images Polsih Pin: Identification Help 

?

Default Re: Polsih Pin: Identification Help

I would err on the side of this not being military, .. but possibly on the lines of a Polish Welfare support pin or May independence pin.

Gary J.

cizewski
    ?

Default Re: Polsih Pin: Identification Help

Since posting this in June, I've continued my research which supports your idea that this is not a military item.

As this pin was attached to a Swiss hotel card, I researched Switzerland.

Almost an entire Polish division which had escaped Poland and joined the French army retreated into Switzerland when France fell. While interned, they participated in civilian life.

While on leave in Switzerland, my father, who was a fluent Polish speaker, could have met these internees. He could have traded one of his U.S. pins or patches or as you suggest received it in return for a donation to the welfare of Polish refugees in Switzerland.

Among his items from Switzerland is an appeal from a Swiss welfare agency for donations for refugee work.

The sheaths of wheat with a cross is a classic religious symbol which suggests it may be from a religious organization.

Thanks, Gary. If I ever confirm its identity, I'll be sure to let our forum know.

Leonard