Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polska Swemu Obroncy Medal

Article about: My grandfathers records doesn't show that he was awarded the Polska Swemu Obroncy but my understanding is all Polish soldiers were awarded it. Are the records in error? Should he have been a

Default Polska Swemu Obroncy Medal

My grandfathers records doesn't show that he was awarded the Polska Swemu Obroncy but my understanding is all Polish soldiers were awarded it. Are the records in error? Should he have been awarded this medal? Is there someone I can contact to find out why he didn't get it?

These are the battles he fought in according to war records

1939 in East Prusia, Kowel, in KOP "Glebokie" Regiment
    14.02.1944 - 23.04.1944 - battle over the Sengro river (Italy)
    24.04.1944 - 31.05.1944 - 2nd Polish Corps, battle of Monte Cassino
    01.06.1944 - 04.09.1944 - battles of Ancona and Goths Line
    05.09.1944 - 09.10.1944 - with 2nd Corps in reserve with the 8th army
    10.10.1944 - 01.01-1945 - offensive operations in North Apennines
    02.01.1945 - 08.04.1945 - in defence over the Senio River
    09.04.1945 - 02.05.1945 - 2nd Corps, battle of Bologna

I would think that would qualify him for the Polska Swemu Obroncy medal.

Hello Philip,

The PISM in London holds the records of the Polish Army Medal awarded to soldiers of the 2nd Polish Corps, the best thing would be to book a seat in the reading room and go through each of the files. The files are listed in dates of award and the number also listed is the number found on the Legitymacja.

There are from my records 6 files with regards to the award of the Polish Army Medal.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Unfortunately I'm in Canada so I'm not able to go there. Is there something else I could do?

Hello Philip,

All that you can do is either ask one of the Forum members to have a look for you if they are planning a visit or write though this will incur a charge and up to a 6 month wait for a reply with no guarantee.

I myself am now housebound and unable to travel, in the past I would be there 2-3 times a year researching or looking at new displays.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you Andrzej. I have a few relatives in England so maybe I could ask them.

?

Hello Philip. Tell me how long you expect to information on service with your grandfather MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
    APC DISCLOSURES 5 (POLISH). For 6 weeks I wait. My grandfather September 19, 1939 in Kovel got captured by the USSR, September 3, 1941 in Tatisheva enlisted in the army of Anders. Passed Monte Cassino and died in Loretto. Also concerning medals Polska Swemu Obroncy where you can learn about the award. Thank you expect to return. Sincerely George. Ukraine.

Hello George,

Many thanks for your post, what do you wish to know about the Medal Wojsko (Army Medal).

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi George,

It took about 8-10 weeks to get my Grandads war records from the MOD in England. The lady that works there (Margaret) works by herself so she often gets backed up. The correct name for the medal is the Medal Wojsko (Army Medal). I found the information on google when I searched the name. When you receive the war records it will show if he received this medal under the Medal section. Good luck on your journey. I have loved every minute learning about my Grandad.

Here is the information on the medal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Medal_for_War_1939-45
    Last edited by Philip Kondrat; 11-30-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add a link

?

Philip, thanks for the reply. I also want to know the answer from London you sent to the e-mail or ordinary letter and the response standard response form or a copy of all documents the life of your grandfather. Thank you, waiting for an answer. Sincerely George.

When they send the war records they are a copy of the records that they on file. It is a detailed account of the soldiers entire service in the military. It shows the information from when they signed up to battles, injuries, medals, discipline etc. They send the records by mail to your house. The records are in Polish.

You can email Margaret Goddard at the Ministry of Defence APC Disclosures (Polish). She might be able to answer what questions you have in regards to when you will receive the records. Here is her email address

NOR-PolishDiscOffice@mod.uk

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast