Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rip/ orzel/new family history

Article about: Very recently I was surfing the web and trying to look up my families military history during the second world war.Known to me was my fathers older brother Alex Kozowy who served overseas wi

?

Default Rip/ orzel/new family history

Very recently I was surfing the web and trying to look up my families military history during the second world war.Known to me was my fathers older brother Alex Kozowy who served overseas with the Regina Rifles (Canada) and was wounded in action.Upon questioning my father about the subject he told me that once Alex returned home to Canada he would not talk about the subject of his service overseas.Sadly he passed away two years ago and that piece of my families history is now lost to me.And then I came upon an artical on the RIP ORZEL which was one of only two polish submarines to have escaped the port of Oksywie on September 1 1939 and served with distinction till her sinking on the 25 may 1940 in an unmarked mine field she is credited with the sinking of two German vessels. The Rio de janerio on 08/04/1940 I have included a picture of the Rio de janerio and a few of the RIP ORZEL. She is also credited with the sinking of the armed trawler Ozbrojeny Rybarsky on 10/04/1940. Upon reading the details in this article I was shocked to find the name of petty officer Julian Kozowy on the crew list as one of the members lost at sea on the 25 may 1940 I have contacted my father and we are trying to track down some of are families history.Having such an unushual last name will hopefully help me on my quest for more information.It would appear that not long after my family came to Canada that they severed almost all there ties to the homeland.Iam currently seeking information on my families history and there service in WW2 if anyone could be of help please send me a PM or if you would like to comment on this thread please feel free to do so. I will try and leave a link to the ORP/RIP ORZEL SITE thankyou. Sorry could not get the link to work will try again tonight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rip/ orzel/new family history   Rip/ orzel/new family history  

Rip/ orzel/new family history   Rip/ orzel/new family history  

Attached Images Attached Images Rip/ orzel/new family history  Rip/ orzel/new family history 

?

Default Re: Rip/ orzel/new family history

Hi kozowy1967,
    may be your distant cousin?-À.Êîçîâûé
    Regards.
    Orzel-SUBMARINE.

?

Default Re: Rip/ orzel/new family history

Sorry it took me so long to post the link to the Orzel site SS - ORP Orze³ (85A) :: Poland (POL) :: Submarines It does make for some intresting reading thoe

?

Look for more information on: Santi Odnale. This is the page about history and actual searching expeditions of ORP ORZEL wreck.

?

Yuo can also try to contact with historians from SANTI to get some informations about your family member. They have a lot of spectacular and newest informations about submarine ORP ORZEL and her crew. You can also try to find newspapers articles of Hubert Jando and translate it in net.

Hello GregPL,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your contribution That is an interesting link.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

she was a great boat and brave crew.may they 1 day find her.RIP.

?

Many thanks GregPL for the help and the link as stated by Tony makes for an interesting read I am afraid my understanding of the Polish language is very limited and regret it was not taught to me as a second language in my youth as there is much I would like to study, read and research that has never been translated from Polish to English .

Regards Mark

?

I found, that Julian Kozowy was born 1/1/1906. He was Orzel's crew member since 1938. Probably he served as a diver. I've some pictures of original documents of Polish Navy in GB from 1940, like crew members lists. If you want, I can send to you some such fotos on e-mail.
    Greg