Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Second Polish Corps photographs

Article about: I couldn't find a thread for Second Polish Corps photographs? Anyone know where in Italy this photograph of a knocked out Sherman might have been taken? The photo looks familiar maybe "

Default Second Polish Corps photographs

I couldn't find a thread for Second Polish Corps photographs?

Anyone know where in Italy this photograph of a knocked out Sherman might have been taken? The photo looks familiar maybe "Albeneta Farm" but I cannot find it in the few books I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Polish Corps photographs  
    Last edited by StefanM; 05-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Default Re: Second Polish Corps photographs

It is the Albaneta Farm (Masseria Albaneta), I enclose an image taken from the book Ramie Pancerne, published also on Pulk 4. pancerny "Skorpion", where you can see that the ruins are the same, note also the three trees. The photos seems to have been shot from the same place.
    Enzo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Polish Corps photographs  

Thanks Enzo I thought it looked familiar—I have both books you mentuion and I just couldn't find it! Sharper eyes than mine
    Last edited by StefanM; 05-12-2010 at 03:36 PM.

I think this is another photo of the same(?) destroyed Sherman but from a differnt vantage point.

This particular was definitely taken by 'tanker' of Pulk 4. pancerny "Skorpion"

Hey Stefan
    Not sure if you're aware or not but several features (or lack of) regarding this tank have always struck me as curious. Namely it does not have the additional armor plates typically seen on the 4th regiments tanks welded over their munitions lockers on the sides of the hull . Another is the lack of smoke launchers on the R/H side of the turret typical of several Polish tanks photographed at Monte Cassino. I suspect this might be a tank from the New Zealand 20th Armoured Regiment, they lost many during their failed assault on Mass Albaneta. The Polish did put three abandoned New Zealand tanks into service but withdrew them soon after 12 May. Strikes me that many photos of wrecked Shermans on the road to Mass Albaneta are misidentified as Polish. Have attached three images. 1st NZ tank abandoned on the road to Albaneta (no armor plates). 2nd NZ tank used by the Polish (no armor plates). 3rd Different view of your earlier photos.

Hope it is of interest

Chris........................
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Polish Corps photographs   Second Polish Corps photographs  

Second Polish Corps photographs  

You might well be right Chris

Attached is the very well known lino-cut illustration by Stanisław Gliwa of 4th Skorpion Shermans 'PAZUR' and 'PIRAT' at Albenetta which I think may depict the route of image 3 in the set ... with some artistic interpetation! Stanisław Gliwa is my favourite graphic artist/soldier of 2PolCorps

I think these photos are Armoured Regiment's tank repair sheds at its Potenza Picena base ?

Second Polish Corps photographsSecond Polish Corps photographs

[QUOTE=4thskorpion;182847]I think these photos are Armoured Regiment's tank repair sheds at its Potenza Picena base ?

Great photos Stefan. Regarding the Gliwa image I had a long look at Christine F's original print recently, an interesting little piece of history, not to mention her dad's album! Have included a photo from my album, I suspect it was taken in Italy in a tank repair yard (note bullet holes, damage & camouflage). I believe these wrecks were converted into Fascine carriers and bridge layers, though it's unclear to me as to whether the brigade brought it's Valentines over from Egypt armed with their turrets and converted them in the field? Seem to recall seeing one used as an aid station at Monte Cassino.

Chris............