Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran

Article about: Hi Everybody, Can somebody please help me? Today I managed to find my fathers war records and he was awarded this medal in 1944. Can you tell me were they awarded in situ, or did the soldier

Default Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran

Hi Everybody,

Can somebody please help me? Today I managed to find my fathers war records and he was awarded this medal in 1944. Can you tell me were they awarded in situ, or did the soldiers have to ask for them as they did with other medals.

Sadly, my father is no longer with us and he never had this medal..... is there a way I can get this medal re-issued?

Regards

C

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hello Caroline, and welcome to the forum.

The Cross of Valour was awarded both directly ‘in the field’ , and also by means of a ‘tymczasowy’ provisional document acknowledging a soldiers entitlement to receive the actual cross at a later date, usually accompanied by a formal award document.

As to whether the decoration is still being issued to WW2 veterans who may never have received their official issue, I can’t help but doubt it considering that stocks of surplus WW2 crosses held in reserve in London had been sold off two decades ago. However, the decoration remains relatively common on the collector market, and if you are able to provide some details we can help you pin down which of the various types would have likely been awarded. I am assuming that you may have the actual award notice / document - ? If so, please post a picture for us. If not, please let us know some details about his service and which unit he served in.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. At present I have only had my fathers records for a few hours and unfortunately they are in Polish and I do not read or speak Polish. I have written asking for a summary in English and as soon as I receive this I will give you the details you have asked for...... I am just so stunned at some of the information that I have managed to decipher.... and so proud!

Thank you again and I will be in touch soon!

Regards

C

Default Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran

Hi Caroline, you're most welcome. It's wonderful to read of your pride in your father's service after discovering his records. We can await the translation, or you can post the records here and I'd be happy to translate for you. We'll then be able to offer you more information about his Cross of Valour, and also hopefully about his journey with the Polish forces fighting alongside the Allies.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for replying so quickly again...... I would be so happy if you could help me decipher some of my fathers records.... How can I send you the files.... Do you have a private messaging system on the board?

kind regards

Caroline

Hi Caroline, I'll send you a private email via the forum. Check at the top of your screen for "Notifications"

Regards,
    Tony

Default Re: Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran

Hi Caroline,

I've moved your posts from the Cross of Valour thread into a new thread dedicated to your search for information about your father. Here's an excerpt from the reply sent to you with portions of his service record translated. I'm hoping that other members will have better success at translating some of the content, in particular the “Określenie odznaczenia lub pochwały i za jaki czyn” section.

Taken into Russian captivity following the September 1939 Campaign – likely on September 24, 1939. The document marks his service period in the Polish Army from October 7, 1938 until this date. The unit he was serving in when captured appears to be a mechanized unit, possibly the “32nd Armored Vehicle Division”

On November 15, 1941 he was enlisted in the 5th Armored Battalion in the USSR.

The next two years of service sees your father transferred from the armoured units to the supply corps. In October of 1943 it appears that he had a hospital stay. In July 1944 he was transferred to the 5KDP (5th Kresowa Infantry Division).

Here we’ll jump to his combat experience as it takes place during this time (this is covered in a separate section of the document, top of page 9 - “Time at front, battle participation”):

Italian Front: Feb 14 – May 2, 1944

Participation in Battle up to May 2, 1945 – Ancona, Bologna.

On Nov 16, 1944, during a break in combat operations it appears to mention that he enrolled in an Infantry Officer course, and then on the 29th his rank was advanced from private (rifleman) to senior rifleman (i.e. lance corporal). The course ran over the winter months from Nov. 25 to Jan 18, with a grade of “Good”. On Jan 18, 1945 he attained the title of Officer Cadet and two days later was assigned to the 16th Lwowski Rifles Battalion.

The section of the document (middle page 9) titled ‘Awards and commendations, and for what act’ is very interesting as it seems to describe a couple of heroic deeds in battle “under very difficult conditions” that happened on July 15, 1944, resulting in his award of the Cross of Valour. The entry uses abbreviations, hindering my translation efforts. There’s also a part that clearly states “surrounded . . . and took 14 Germans into captivity”.

On August 6th 1944 he was awarded the Cross of Valour. He was also entitled to the British WW2 Star and Italy Star.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran   Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran  

Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran   Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran  

Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran   Seeking Info About my Father, a Polish WW2 Veteran  

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help with this matter. Can you let me know where I can find the thread...... I am not so good at navigating this board.

Warmest wishes

Caroline

- - Updated - -

Found the thread......

Thank you!!!!

Caroline

- - Updated - -

Found the thread......

Thank you!!!!

Caroline

Hi Caroline, happy to be of some assistance to you. Hopefully we can get additional input from members better able at deciphering Polish handwriting.

Cheers,
    Tony

Hi Tony,

That would be great, I am also awaiting the translation of his movement during the conflict and I have been in touch with the Sikorski museum in London and will be making a trip there in October (they are having works done at the monent) to try and find any other records that I can.... and of course to see if they have the documentation regarding his Cross of Valour Award.

Regards

Caroline