Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Seeking information on my Granddad - A Polish Paratrooper

Article about: Hello All, Please could you help. I am trying to find out as much information on my Granddad as I can. I have already contacted the MOD and am awaiting information from them. Tony from this

Default Re: Seeking information on my Granddad - A Polish Paratrooper

Here is the after action report translation.

" They landed in the enemy's rear 19 March 1945 very close to the village, so they had to immediately go back in to the forest, where they looked for each other for more than four hours. When they found the container there were four germans by it, one of them armed. They decided to take back the container, Sergeant Gawor attacked them from the front while firing both of his pistols, germans started to run, two of them fell, one close to the container. Two germans escaped to the village. While that was going on Sergeant Nowicki had unpacked the container and taken equipment in to the forest.
    They started to walk through the forest and after an hour they found a road, on which they observed germans that were transporting their parachutes and the empty container. So they burried their equipment and went to complete the mission.
    For eight days they walked around, however being extremly hungry they had to show themselves to germans. They were arrested, went through long interogations, but were let go after three days and assigned to forced labor, and separated.
    After three days of looking around,talking, consulting, Sergeant Gawor went on a Sunday with a Polish Woman that he used to have a legitimate reason to be in the woods, to see if the burried cases are still there.
    That evening at a party he found out about 6 Polish men that were hiding in the woods. Together with Sergeant Nowicki they picked three of the men to help them, and on a second night they went to retrieve the cases and luckily came back with them. But because of a guard at the village they hid the cases in a hay stack, and brought the cases to their own lodgings after a day.
    The next Sunday before noon in the Sergeant Nowicki's room thay coded the report and tried to send it from the barn.
    After 25 minutes into the yard came a vehicle carrying SS men, Sergeant Gawor who was on guard at the moment thought that they have been found out. So he alarmed Sergeant Nowicki who stopped working having just established a connection. Unfortunately the SS men have stationed themselves in the barn, so Sergeant Nowicki had to roll up the antenna, and any later tries to establish connection were not succesfull. Also taking the equpment out of the barn became impossible and they could be found out at any moment.
    In the meantime Sergeant Gawor was gathering inteligence on his own, speaking with german soldiers every time he got a chance.
    After their 37 day stay in the enemy's rear, the American Army showed up.
    Sergeant Gawor found out about SS and SA soldiers hiding in the vicinity, and he along with other Poles did a round up, killing one of the germans.
    25th April 1945 they were taken by Americans.

Seeking information on my Granddad - A Polish ParatrooperAlso here is a map of all Polish teams dropped in Germany in 1945.

I just wanted to say what a fantastic story this is. Vanda, you must be very proud of your Grandfather.

Anyway I thought I'd put names to the medal ribbons. It would be perfectly possible to find replacement medals and assemble them as as a great group. I believe he would have been entitled to the British Defence Medal but many medal groups miss this medal as it was often issued at a later stage.

Great story - thanks for sharing
    Attached Images Attached Images Seeking information on my Granddad - A Polish Paratrooper 

?

Again I want to express my Thanks for everybody's help in helping me research my Granddad. I now know that he was in the Samodzielna Kompania Grenadierow and also have evidence that he was 1 of the 18 Poles that then transferred to SAARF. I have to admit this is becoming quite an obsession now and I have been glued to the internet trying to find out more. If anyone can help with any further with information on these units I would really appreciate it.

Jamest8 - Yes, I am….. My Granddad was always a Hero in my eyes and I should have known he would have an amazing story….

vandat, thank you for posting your grandfather's story and ribbons. My father was a Polish soldier and I cherish the memory of his sacrifice. And because of that I am most grateful to learn of the exploits of other Polish soldiers to defend theirs and others freedom.

Hi Vanda,

Great to see the wealth of information provided by our knowledgeable forum members.

There are also some good books out there that would help you gain more of an understanding about these covert paratroop operations on occupied territory and will deepen your appreciation of your Granddad’s service. A personal favorite is the 1954 issue: “The Unseen and Silent: Adventures from the Underground Movement Narrated By Paratroops of the Polish Home Army” by George Iranek-Osmecki. It contains nail-biting accounts in the same vein as the Itakdalej’s translation in post #11. It’s a page turner and reads much like a thriller, but the stories here are not fictional. The firsthand accounts record actual events shortly after they happened.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking information on my Granddad - A Polish Paratrooper  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Vanda,

Great to see the wealth of information provided by our knowledgeable forum members.

There are also some good books out there that would help you gain more of an understanding about these covert paratroop operations on occupied territory and will deepen your appreciation of your Granddad’s service. A personal favorite is the 1954 issue: “The Unseen annd Silent: Adventures from the Underground Movement Narrated By Paratroops of the Polish Home Army” by George Iranek-Osmecki. It contains nail-biting accounts in the same vein as the Itakdalej’s translation in post #11. It’s a page turner and reads much like a thriller, but the stories here are not fictional. The firsthand accounts record actual events shortly after they happened.

Regards,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

This is a very unusual edition of the book as the Sheed & Ward edition had a pink dust jacket. I wonder where & when this red jacket edition was published? The book has a very interesting "cold war" story behind its publication including an edition printed on light-weight bible paper that was dropped over communist Poland by one of the numerous CIA anticommunist propaganda balloon drops across Eastern Europe!

Sheed & Ward edition 1954
    Attached Images Attached Images Seeking information on my Granddad - A Polish Paratrooper 
    Last edited by StefanM; 11-16-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I had a couple of the "bible" paper editions. i will look later see if I can find one to post. The print is really small and they are hard to read.

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    I had a couple of the "bible" paper editions. i will look later see if I can find one to post. The print is really small and they are hard to read.
    Are you thinking of the two volume "mini" paperback edition "Drogi cichociemnych" published by "Kurs" in 1985 as part of the Solidarity movement underground press?

The CIA balloon drop version was entirely different and took place in late 1950's early 1960's shortly after the book first made its appearance in UK and the US. The English language version was unusually published before a Polish edition and nearly didn't make publication due to pressure stop publication by "British establishment" who didn't want any anti-Soviet material published hence the books publication by the Catholic publishing house Sheed & Ward in US.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

At one point while back before the new Bellona Polish printing I was buying all the different Polish editions. I know I have the Solidarity version, I will have to check on the other one. I had two underground versions, one is Solidarity for sure, the other I will have to locate to see.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast