Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Service Records

Article about: Hi, I am in the process of obtaining my great grandfather's death certificate before i can request his service records from the MOD. I was wondering what is included in the service records?

Default Service Records

Hi,

I am in the process of obtaining my great grandfather's death certificate before i can request his service records from the MOD.

I was wondering what is included in the service records? I know they state where he served, but what I am really hoping for is that they state what awards and medals he received as I would love to replace them in near future with originals.

Regards,

Kuba

Hello Kuba,

An original letter that I have for a 2nd Corps Doctor lists the following:

1) Name Rank and Number

2) Date of Birth

3) Place of Birth

4) Son of Father and Mothers Christian Names and Mothers Maiden Name

5) Marital Status (whilst serving)

6) Nationality

7) Religion

8) Civil Occupation

9) Service with Polish Forces under British Command

10) Service with Polish Resettlement Corps

11) Former Service and History

12) Medals and Awards

13) Remarks (Conduct)

You might not receive all the above information, but you can keep your fingers crossed.

I hope that it helps

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Thanks a lot Andrzejku,

Kuba

Hey Kuba

Make sure you ask for 'copies of all the documents they hold' as well as a summery. The details can be very helpful.

Chris.....

Service RecordsWhen I applied to the MOD for my dad's I got a brief summary in English which listed his medals, but I then asked for his Zeszyt Ewidencyjny and recived copies of all his documents which I then had to have translated. Copy of his front page attached.

?

The Zeszyt Ewidencyjny is the most comprehensive personal document held in the MOD archives ....
    Try to obtain a FULL copy.

Thanks everyone! Still looking to hear back from the MOD. Do you know how long it takes them to process an enquiry on average?

Hi Guys,
    I've got quite good news, namely the British MOD handed over to Poland another Polish Forces records, this time c. 10 000 personal files of KIA and deceased Polish soldiers. Here's the note on the ceremony held at the Polish Embassy in London on March 25:

Archives of Polish Armed Forces in the West return to Poland

Aside from the symbolic meaning of reuniting Polish docs in Poland, storing WW2 personal records together with pre-war ones in the Central Military Archive ('CAW') in Rembertów will be more convenient for researchers, especially if they research career soldiers. I guess the cost of a file copy will be cheaper comparing to the British MOD fees. Furthermore you’ll be able to take a pic for free in case of researching by yourself in the 'CAW' reading room, so all in all it's good news. I hope we shall receive records of demobbed soldiers soon, so it would be easier to research a polish soldier outside your family who didn’t die at least 25 years ago as it is with the British MOD.

Regards,
    Tom