Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sikorski Museum, London

Article about: I am so relaxed the photo's didnot attach sorry about that here goes again I will try one at a time Awards of General Dr Roman Odzierzynski

?

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Lilo,

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum, General Anders foreign Awards are located to the left of the fireplace in his study in the Sikorski Museum and Polish Institute in London. I do have a photograph somewhere, not quite sure where, so if any other members of the Forum have a picture to hand I would ask them to attach it to the site.

The awards are as follows:

1) British Order of the Bath (Honourary Companion) presented to the General by Field Marshal Alexander

2) United States Legion of Merit (Commanders Cross)

3) France Legion of Honour

4) Persia Imperial Order of Homayeun (Grand Cross)

5) Italian Order of St. Maurice and St. Lazarus (Grand Cross)

If I have missed anything off, please accept my apologies

Once again, Welcome to the Forum

Best wishes

Andrzejku
    Hello Andrzejku,

Manny thanks for your kind words and help !

Unfortunately you mentioned only a part of the 'High' awards Gen. Anders received (some missed one are, for example those awarded from Imperial Russia).

Really he was awarded many medals and decortions from many countries and you can see something by the big ribbon bar he wears on this colour photos : https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...chutist-22330/

However, I greatly would appreciate any photo, you or other members, can post about his foreign awards.

Again best regards

Lilo

Hello Everyone,

Searching the intenet I have found the following photographs of General Anders study on the Ground floor of the Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum, which I just thought you might like to see.

Sikorski Museum, London

General Wladyslaw Anders Foreign Awards

Sikorski Museum, London

I hope that you like them

Best wishes

Andrzejku

I have been to London a few times but sadly i have never heard of this beautiful place.
    Thank you all for showing.
    Cheers
    Nuno

?

Though Im very interested in Polish history and have spent a lot of time there on many many visits with or without my Polish friends and have spent countless hours chasing down MIL history there (from Zielona Gora, over Wroclaw, Fortress Oder-Warthe-Bogen tunnel system, Kraków and many in between) and of course having been to London many times as well, I must shamefully admit, that Ive never been to 'The Sikorsky.'
    I WILL make it there.
    Thanks to all for excellent info and pics.
    The background to the Polish museum is moving.

Some more Photographs from the Sikorski Museum

Sikorski Museum, London

Sikorski Museum, London

In the Entrance Hall of the Sikorski is a gun taken from a 7TP Tank captured by the Germans in September 1939 and placed in one of their own tanks, that in turn was captured by troops from the Carpathian Brigade in North Africa.

Sikorski Museum, London

On the same side on the wall is this memorial to the Polish Air Force Squadrons that fought in the West

Sikorski Museum, London

Armoured Units Display

Sikorski Museum, London

Best wishes

Andrzejku

warsaw uprising museum not london sikorski in case ou are wondering, and the armoured trucks are reproductions bases on those built on american truck chassi during uprising (dodge, r ford?)

Default Medal Citation Records

My father served in the Polish 1st Armoured Division and I have been able to retrieve all available documents from his service record (from the MOD Polish Section). He was awarded the Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari Class V and the Cross of Valour 3 times. Apart from a brief 3 line directive relating to the Virtuti Militari award there is no detailed information relating to the thrice awarded 'Krzyza Walecznych' aside from the Legitymacja card. If possible, I'd be interested in knowing some detail surrounding the circumstances of the awards. I'll be in London next month and could easily drop into the Museum. I was wondering if there is any likelihood that the archives of the Sikorski Institute would contain such information?

Hello Stepic51,

When I first went to the Sikorski Museum back in the 1970's, only the ground 1st and 2nd floors were open to the public, over the years I had made many friends at the museum and eventually was shown the 3rd and 4th Floors as well as the basement.

Now the Archivist's Office Dr. Andrzej Suchcitz holds an awful lot of records but so does the Basement 3rd and 4th Floors, telephone the museum and book an appointment for the reading room space is limited, when I was last there, there was a Priest from Krakow, a son of a pilot from Canada etc all undertaking research.

You may find your Fathers Recommendation for his Cross of Valour and also if you have not got his Legitmacja for the Medal Wojska (Army Medal) the Museum does have the list of recipients for the 1st Armoured Division plus 2nd Corps soldiers awarded the Medal Wojska.

Also your Father being a recipient of the Virtuti Militari you might also ask Dr Suchcitz if they have his VM Recommendation.

Best wishes

And please let us know how you go on

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

It has been a busy Christmas and New Year for me, but thought I would let everyone know that the PISM have finally updated their website check out the colour film of the 1st Arm Div in Scotland well worth 15 Minutes of your time.

Best wishes

Andrzej

PISM Home Page

p.s. Click on either the Polish or British flags to enter the site

Fantastic colour film .

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast