MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Spink Polonia Restituta

Article about: I have a beautiful sterling & red enamel breast star that my mother got while our family was stationed at Landsberg AF Base in Munich in 1948. I have not been able to find a picture of i

?

Default Spink Polonia Restituta

It is of interest if anyone is knowing
    what are dates of these type 1 and type 2 Spink
    made Polonia Resitutas?
    Many thanks!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spink Polonia Restituta  
    Attached Images Attached Images Spink Polonia Restituta 

Default Re: Spink Polonia Restituta

hi same here, what do you think is the date?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spink Polonia Restituta   Spink Polonia Restituta  

Spink Polonia Restituta   Spink Polonia Restituta  

Spink Polonia Restituta  

Hello Mariusz,

Good question, and a timely one. Accurately dating the Spink products is difficult. Only the other day I found out that all Spink records prior to 1944 were lost due to a wartime bombing strike on London. Compounding the problem is the two subsequent sales of the company after the Spink family relinquished control. This has resulted in the loss of all records from 1944 to 1990. They may still be out there somewhere, but according to Spink in 2010 they have no access to any such records.

As far as the Polonia Restituta crosses in your pictures (and other Spink products commissioned by the Polish Exile Government) my understanding has always been that the pin clasp with the Spink markings, such as the example in your second set of pics, date from the Queen Elizabeth era. WW2 period decorations have the suspension pin concealed (sewn into) the ribbon. See below for a comparison of a wartime Cross of Merit with Swords, and a post war Virtuti Militari cross.

Also, I have found that wartime products that still have their original ribbons will have a very distinctive ‘folding’ of the ribbon where it passes through the suspension ring. Compare the two small 5th Class crosses you have pictured. The one in your first post has the ‘wartime fold’ whereas the one in your second post has a more loose ‘natural’ fold. You can see the same thing in the picture below.

The ‘sewn in’ pin style and the careful ribbon folding have been consistently observed characteristics of Spink decorations forming parts of Polish veteran’s groupings awarded during or immediately after WW2.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spink Polonia Restituta  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you, Tony like always lots of help for “as new collectors”. I have 3 more Spinks, but they are Cross of Merit, and I will post them. The suspension pins are different.

Hi everyone.
    Just to keep this thread up to date, I would like to post a photo of my recent purchase: 1st class of the Order of Poland Restored made by Spink & Son. This is the post 1952 version, as the Royal Warranty is to Queen Elizabeth II.

Best Regards

Nice acquisition, thanks for sharing! Please try to post some pictures of the inside of the case, the sash, etc.

Here’s a recent pick up of mine. A 3rd Class Commander ‘wartime’ King George VI issue in original case. I love the quality of these Spink & Son products. Top notch all the way.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spink Polonia Restituta   Spink Polonia Restituta  

Spink Polonia Restituta  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony,
    There are some pictures of the 3rd class and 1st class. I'm looking for the recipient's list of the 1st class. Sikorski Museum in London hasn't got one in one piece...
    Regards,
    Michael

And the 1st class:

Hello Michael,

Congratulations again on your super looking acquisitions. Hard to find items for sure, especially that 1st Class set.

Quote by prezesdel View Post
    . . . I'm looking for the recipient's list of the 1st class. Sikorski Museum in London hasn't got one in one piece...
    Between 1954 and 1972 the two competing factions of the exile government each issued the Order of Poland Restored, and perhaps this turbulence may have contributed to the lack of proper record keeping. If you are ever able to obtain a comprehensive list please post if possible.

Regards,
    Tony

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post

Between 1954 and 1972 the two competing factions of the exile government each issued the Order of Poland Restored....

Regards,
    Tony
    Need a little history lesson here Professor Zawadzki...

It’s a strange chapter. There was split in the ranks due to dissatisfaction with the serving president August Zaleski. Aside from some political conflicts Zaleski had unlawfully declined to leave his post after his mandated term had expired. One of the members of the rival government faction was General Anders, and this body was largely recognized as the legitimate exile government. On Zaleski’s death in 1972 the exile government essentially reunited, although one of Zaleski’s inner circle assumed the title of the head of the exile government and carried on. He had a small following, mostly based in London I understand. Somewhere in my archives (not with me at the moment) I have pictures of a decoration group awarded by this group to a US citizen that I’ll dig up and post. If memory serves there was a Polonia Restituta in there , so that’s good enough to warrant posting here. Please stay tuned.

Cheers,
    T.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast