Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on Monte Cassino Cross

Article about: Any thoughts on whether this is a genuine or fake? The ribbon looks relatively clean/new - it doesn't display the typical fading/discoloration visible on period pieces, so I'm guessing it is

?

Default Thoughts on Monte Cassino Cross

Any thoughts on whether this is a genuine or fake? The ribbon looks relatively clean/new - it doesn't display the typical fading/discoloration visible on period pieces, so I'm guessing it is a repro. However I am unsure about the medal itself. It looks pretty beaten up - lots of dings and flattened edges. I honestly don't know too much about this medal so I'd be interested in hearing from those more familiar with it.
    Cheers!

Hello sk47 and welcome to the forum. No red flags. Looks to be a genuine cross on a replacement ribbon. This thread contains some tips on what to look for when authenticating these crosses:

Un-numbered Monte Cassino Cross – Verifying Authenticity

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello sk47,

The Monte Cassino Cross Numbered 32944 was awarded to

Surname: Saworzynski

Christian Name: Cyryl

Date of Birth: 1920

Army Number (also found on his ID tags): 1920-147-III

Unit: 7 Pulk Artylerii Konnej (7th Horse Artillery Regiment)

Thats all the information that I could find, I hope that it is of some use.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

A.J. Zawadzki - In that thread that you linked you wrote "Genuine crosses have an elliptical intermediate ring that holds the ribbon ring. All the copies I’m familiar with overlook this small detail and instead have a circular ring". I took a closer look at the 32944 cross and compared it with a genuine one I have. I attached some some comparison pictures. The 32944 cross displays the circular intermediate ring instead of the ellipictal one. Also the main ring is large/thicker than the geninue cross's ring, it also lacks the groves running along it. Does this evidence point to the 32944 ring being a repro?

andrzejku98 - Thanks for the information

Hi again,

The suspension rings on your cross 32944 appear to me to be replacements. Is the intermediate ring on cross 2355 round? If so, and assuming that 2355 is entirely genuine, all that I can add is that the M. Wronski reference booklet in this decoration does say that there were some variations in the suspension rings, without being specific. From my experience with this decoration (I've owned over a dozen) all had the elliptical intermediate ring. This also seems consistent with the countless examples I've viewed in photographs.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne