Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Tobruk badge number?

Article about: Hi guys, I've read on this forum that the numbers have been published for the Tobruk badge? Can someone direct me in the right direction please. I'm looking for just one number, it's badge n

Default Tobruk badge number?

Hi guys,
    I've read on this forum that the numbers have been published for the Tobruk badge?
    Can someone direct me in the right direction please.
    I'm looking for just one number, it's badge number 1954.
    Any helps most appreciated.
    Cheers John

Sorry guys,
    Just read my thread back there and it sounds as if I'm looking for badge 1954.
    I'm just looking for info on badge 1954 i.e. The soldier who owned it etc!
    Cheers again

Can anyone help!
    Cheers John

Hi John,
    Your badge was awarded to st. strz. (L/Cpl) Józef FRONCZAK, service no. 3146. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything about his post-Tobruk service. I didn't find him on the Polish Forces KIA roll neither for the North African Campaign nor for the Italian Campaign. He's not listed on the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division roll, so he must have been transferred from the Carpathian Rifle Brigade to the other Polish unit.

Regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply!
    I also have a fibre disc dog tag that reads,
    A.P. 1909 82/111. RZ. KAT. FRANCZAK JOZEF
    I was just hoping to confirm that they belong together which they seem to do by name!
    Is there any chance he would have changed service numbers?
    Thanks again John

Hello,
    Your post has added some valuable information. According to the Carpathian Brigade badge holders' list his last name was FRONCZAK. Apparently this is a mistake because on the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Div. roll there's Cpl Józef FRANCZAK, 1909/82 [III is omitted] of the DHQ, which confirms the information stamped on the dog tag.
    The digital service numbers were given while serving with the Carpathian Rifle Brigade. These numbers where changed due to a reorganisation of the Polish Forces in the Middle East at the time of the Soviet Labour Camps ex-prisoners arrival to the Polish Army. The information stamped on the identity disc means Józef Franczak was registered in the Polish Army in the Middle East as an eighty-second person born in 1909. The letters A.P. stand for "Armia Polska" or the Polish Army, "III" denotes he joined the Polish Forces in the Middle East and "RZ. KAT." means he's a Roman Catholic.

Regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom,
    Many thanks for all that.
    Looks like everything must be the ownership of the one man!
    I collect British Medals and badges but this small group to Jozef came with British Ww2 medals!
    Thanks for your time and correspondence.
    Cheers John

Hi John,

Tom, was right Kapral Jozef Franczak, born 1909, Army Number also found on his IDTags was: 1909-82-III, he was a member of the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division Head Quarters. He was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 4245.

There where 2 deaths regisitered for a Joseph Franczak:

1) Bury St Edmunds in 1980, his wife died in 2003 in Bury St Edmunds.

2) Camborne, Redruth in Cornwall in 2006.

1) Jozef Franczak applied for and was made a Naturalised British Citizen on the 24th August 1965, whilst working has a Maltster and living at 4 Newthorps, Rougham, Bury St Edmunds.

That's all that I could find out about Jozef Franczak, I hope that itof some use.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi there,
    Thanks for the added info.
    Yes the group came from England and everything ties in nicely now.
    Thanks to Tom & Andrzejku.
    Cheers John