Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tobruk Group

Article about: Thanks Tony for your comments. Now I have the badge in hand what is the best way of finding out if this is tarnish or the silver plate rubbing off a fake? I thought a touch of silver cleaner

Default Re: Tobruk Group

Thanks Tony for your comments. Now I have the badge in hand what is the best way of finding out if this is tarnish or the silver plate rubbing off a fake? I thought a touch of silver cleaner on the lower rim perhaps or one of the bayonet handles.

Thanks

Default Re: Tobruk Group

Hi James,

I would advise against using any sort of cleaning solutions, and if necessary then only as a last resort. You should be able to determine if this is natural surface patina by carefully examining the area with a 16X or greater magnifier. If you do not own one of these magnifiers (aka jewelers loupe) then go get one before proceeding any further. These are an essential tool for anyone serious about this hobby.

If examination under the magnifier proves inconclusive you may then try a small amount of cleaner on a Q-tip or folded soft cloth corner applied only to a very small area of the REVERSE of the badge where some of this same brownish residue is visible.

Again, the idea is to see if any of this patina is lifted exposing silver underneath. If the brownish stuff starts to take on a shine then youíve got a problem, although Iím confident that youíll find the badge is good.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12