Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation of photo caption?

Article about: I would be really appreciative if someone more familiar with interpreting Polish handwriting could translate a short caption found on the back of a photograph. I think the serviceman is wear

Default Translation of photo caption?

I would be really appreciative if someone more familiar with interpreting Polish handwriting could translate a short caption found on the back of a photograph.

I think the serviceman is wearing a US style uniform jacket so maybe Polish Guards?

Photo is dated 16 XII (December) 1945 and I am pretty sure the first word is "Monachium" or Munich in English which made me think of Polish Labor Guards in US service?

Any help will be most welcome, as always

Same serviceman as POW. I am assuming that the diamond shaped patch on his breast pocket is the Polish <P> patch but for some reason the purple colour of the letter "P" and the patch purple border has not been picked up on the film negative? Or did Polish POWs sometimes wear another kind of identification patch... does anyone know? I have several other photos of Poles with diamond shaped patch but know letter "P" showing up?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Translation of photo caption?

Hi Stefan.
    The caption was written with some grammatical errors, but the meaning is clear. Here goes the translation:
    Mannheim, December 16, 1945, for my friend Edmund I give my image [as a souvenir] of time spent together in the captivity in Germany. I commend myself, Dutka Józek.
    Regards,
    Tom

Quote by Thomas the Tank Engine View Post
    Hi Stefan.
    The caption was written with some grammatical errors, but the meaning is clear. Here goes the translation:

Regards,
    Tom
    Brilliant! Thanks again Tom!

I am assuming Mannheim is "Mannheim-Kaefertal"? Of which I found reference as being the Civilian Guard Training and Replacement Center nicknamed by Baltic Guard companies as camp "Kościuszko" as it contained so many Poles.

I also found quick reference to:
    4010th Labor Service Company (Polish Guard)

4088 L.S. Co. Mannheim-Kaefertal

1301 Labor Supervision Camp in Mannheim

Many Polish Guards in these companies recruited from Brygady Świętokrzyskiej (or later named Polish Provisional Brigade).

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    . . . I am assuming that the diamond shaped patch on his breast pocket is the Polish <P> patch but for some reason the purple colour of the letter "P" and the patch purple border has not been picked up on the film negative? . . .
    Stefan, I looked once, I looked twice, and I'm quite sure I'm not imagining it, but in the photo on the right I can just make out the purple outline.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    in the photo on the right I can just make out the purple outline.
    Glad someone can see it It must be down to some film stocks and photo-papers not being as sensitive to certain hues of colour as others. I have attached another POW close-up shot with the men wearing diamond shape patches but the purple "P" and border are not showing up and also a close-up shot of HASAG forced workers where the letter "P" and border is very faintly recorded on some patches but is much more distinct on others.

Are these Polish POWs wearing British BD?

HASAG forced workers (Taucha 5 July 1941) ...if anyone comes across one of the HASAG company enamel pin badges seen in the photo I would love to add one to my collection