Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Two 5th KDP arm flashes

Article about: Two different arm insignia, both of the 5th KDP. They differ in construction form the usual chess cloth backed variety. One, possibly an officers issue?, is worsted on khaki cloth. the other

Default Two 5th KDP arm flashes

Two different arm insignia, both of the 5th KDP. They differ in construction form the usual chess cloth backed variety. One, possibly an officers issue?, is worsted on khaki cloth. the other is rather the usual patter woven with a thicker thread. Any evidences of both pattern in other surviving badges? I have seen a far greater variety of construction of the 5 KDP patches, some even worsted in bullion, than in the 3 DSK flashes.... what's your advise, gents?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two 5th KDP arm flashes   Two 5th KDP arm flashes  

Two 5th KDP arm flashes  
    Attached Images Attached Images Two 5th KDP arm flashes  Two 5th KDP arm flashes 

so, no opinions?

the construction of the embroidered Bison bears a remarkable similarity to the enclosed pic of Eighth Army shield. this insignia was " panned ". going off other British badges which have similar construction and are without doubt original, the balls are in the air !
    Attached Images Attached Images Two 5th KDP arm flashes 

My opinion, subject to the correction of others, is that both are genuine insofar as being created explicitly for those serving in the 5KDP. They are not “copies” per se, produced for general distribution to the collector market.

There’s no production information that I’ve ever encountered. So from observation along with picking up little snippets of info along the way, the version on the heavy wool backing was produced early post war in the UK for veterans that had arrived there during the demobilization of the 2nd Corps. This particular version is also seen with black paper backing, common to the other 2nd Corps cloth insignia were produced in the UK and made available to the veterans via outlets such as POSK and also through their veterans associations. The other example you posted may be wartime production, possibly Italian made. The commonly seen version with the cheesecloth backing were manufactured in Palestine.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Quote by Loupie1961 View Post
    so, no opinions?
    Hi Loupie,

The first one is a post-war badge. The other one is a wartime badge made in the Middle East.

Best,
    Kosa

Two 5th KDP arm flashes

true, but a lot of WW2 Polish badges are " post-war " albeit original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two 5th KDP arm flashes  
    Last edited by prosty zolnierz; 01-24-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Quote by kosa View Post
    . . . The other one is a wartime badge made in the Middle East.
    Here's a comparison to the common Palestine made version you may be referring to. Not to say that this one does not originate there, but I'd like to see some documentary evidence to support this. Based on only hearsay and my gut, I wouldn't rule a possible Italian origin.

Two 5th KDP arm flashes

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Based on only hearsay and my gut, I wouldn't rule a possible Italian origin.
    Hi Tony,

Below a flash that I've seen in a picture taken in the Middle East in 1943 if I can remeber.

Cheers,
    Kosa

Two 5th KDP arm flashes
    Two 5th KDP arm flashes

?

By the way, these flashes seem to be from different region or regions of Palestine. All of them show the same cross-stitch technique but different craftsmanship which usually varies from region to region.

Cheers,
    Kosa

Quote by kosa View Post
    Below a flash that I've seen in a picture taken in the Middle East in 1943 if I can remeber.
    Hi Kosa, I'd really like to see that photo. This example reminds me of the Pakistani made 2nd Corps fakes and I'm inclined to consider this one guilty until proven innocent.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast