Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7

Article about: Dear All, Following the success of the various “encyclopedia” like threads focused on researching Regimental Badges and Eagles – I think it would be good to invest some time to research / in

Default Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7

Dear All,

Following the success of the various “encyclopedia” like threads focused on researching Regimental Badges and Eagles – I think it would be good to invest some time to research / inventorise the cloth insignia of the Polish Army on Exile 1939-45/7.

Please feel free to post the samples / variants etc and add – when possible – provenience and any relevant background information.

I'll start things off with my collection from a Captain, stationed at 161 Military Hospital in Campobasso. These are patches from a collection of awards.

Thanks for kicking things off with good quality photos. The Polish Red Cross insignia is seldom seem. And as mentioned in the thread where you posted the remainder of this officer’s grouping, that is a most unusual 2nd Corps mermaid insignia. Smaller than the regulation size pattern, and a more elaborate rendering of the ‘syrenka’. Very interesting to see this variant.

To flesh out the description of the two others for benefit of this data base:

Polish Army in the East Command, then of the 3rd Polish Corps Command, and lastly Army Units in the Middle East. Made in British Mandate Palestine, along with most of the officially produced cloth insignia of the 2nd Corps.

Also Palestine made, this is the standard pattern title most commonly seen on wartime period BD and some SD.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Many thanks for those descriptions Tony, very informative. Glad you like the patches.

The first patch is very interesting to me, due to its very haphazard design. Were these official patches, or something that was done in small numbers? It's easy to compare the quality of the stitching of that one, and say the last one to see the huge difference in how it was made.

The answer is both. They were official as there would have been a regulation for Polish Red Cross personnel to have uniform identification, and quite likely made in one or more small batches when and where needed. Again, information is scant. Certainly not a commonly seen insignia due to the relatively small size of the Polish Red Cross. I’m not at home at the moment, so will need to check my archives for more info and post later.

Thanks again for posting.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Polish Army in the East - hand made versions
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7   Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7  

?

Polish military nursing service - variants
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7   Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7  

Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7   Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7  

Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7   Uniform Unit Insignia of the Polish Army in Exile - 1939-45/7  

Quote by civil View Post
    Impressive collection and perfect timing!

Regards,
    T.

Very nice patches, congratulations on your collection!

I can only say - incredible collections of P-Military RC - very seldom seen!

I have been looking around for some time now - to find one that is original.

Interestingly - i have not come across in literature any information that confirms when the P-Military RC patches were formally introduced and "legalised" as part of an uniform.

Quote by civil View Post

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast