Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 14th Wielkopolska Armoured brigade

Article about: Hello , I have recently bought a Polish soldiers lot . Meynek Zygmunt , served with 14th Wielkopolska armoured brigade , 2nd polish corps in Italy during ww2 . Just listed his medals , dog t

Default WW2 14th Wielkopolska Armoured brigade

Hello ,
    I have recently bought a Polish soldiers lot . Meynek Zygmunt , served with 14th Wielkopolska armoured brigade , 2nd Polish corps in Italy during ww2 .
    Just listed his medals , dog tag and patches on a well known auction site if anyone is interested .
    I shall be adding his very nice photo album to my archive . I'm happy to post a few images here, if anyone can help out with a little research .
    Would ideally like to know a bit more about the man and the 14th Wielkopolska .
    The album has tank content , fellow comrades , some senior officers etc ... I also have his wartime handwritten ( in Polish ) note book , with plenty of technical details and diagrams relating to MkIII Sherman tanks .
    Jim

Hello Jim,

I have checked both the Register of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross and the Index of Victims of soviet repression with no luck, even with his correct spelling of his surname Młynek.

I have not been able to find anything further about his wartime service, only post war in 1949 he married Vera Bushnell in Aldershot, in 1962 he applied for and was granted British Citizenship on the 7th November 1962 whilst working as a Milk Roundsman. He was at that time living at 45 the Lea, Fleet, Hampshire, London Gazette Dated 1st January 1962 Issue Nr : 42882, Page 93.

The next thing I found was that Vera Młynek (born in 1928) died in 2003 in Truro, Cornwall, Zygmunt died on the 28th March 2013, aged 87 whilst living on Par in Cornwall.

Jim the 14th Wielkopolska (Greater Poland) Armoured Brigade when formed, had the following units :

15th Poznań Lancers Regiment

3rd Śląsk Lancers Regiment

10th Hussar Regiment

14th Forward Tank Replacement Squadron

14th Wielkopolska Engineer Company

14th Wielkopolska Signals Squadron

14th Workshop Company

14th Supply Company

14th Military Police (Provost) Squadron

16th Field Court

So Zygmunt Młynek may have served in one of the above units.

Apologies for not being able to help you further in this matter Jim.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. Jim I hope you do not mind me posting the photograph of Zygmunt Młynek from the ebay site

WW2 14th Wielkopolska Armoured brigade

Nice group!
    Too bad that this is broken up..

Rgrds, Pieter.

Agreed Pieter. Although I haven't seen the auction listing and don't know how complete this grouping is, it's a terrible shame to have veteran groupings survive intact 70+ years only to meet their demise in the name of extra profit. Many dealers do this and it's never pleasant to see.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Many thanks Andrzej for all your efforts . Any information is interesting .

Tony and Pieter ,
    I fully understand your sentiments . I collect original military photo albums . I scan these to high resolution and offer the scans on discs for anyone who is interested . Many of the images also find their way into books etc .
    I could have put all the items and albums up as one lot . But this way a dealer may well have broken up the album as well to maximise profit ..and then the man's story is completely lost .
    In time , I will put all my archive up on a website for anyone to view freely ..in the meantime , like everyone else I have bills to pay .

some pics from technical note book ... radio op and tank mechanic ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 14th Wielkopolska Armoured brigade  

Found a newspaper cutting in the note book ....which confirms post war ambulance service .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 14th Wielkopolska Armoured brigade